**VIDEO GUIDE All about the unRAID Array and how Parity works

This video is all about the array and how it works  in unRAID. It discusses the 3 different types of drives that make up the array.

You will see how data is both written and stored on a harddisk and an array. You will see how both single and dual parity work to protect your server from hard drive failures.

You will see the differences  between raid5/6 and the unRAID array. Hope you find it interesting !!

All about the Array, how data is written and how the parity works in unRAID

• Like 1

I have to say these videos are of an incalculable benefit to the unRAID community!  Thanks!

Agreed. I think this will help many new folks coming to the unRAID world.

Good job.

Didn't watch the video, but what would be really awesome is a video explaining with examples, lots of pointing, hand-waving, arrows, dancing girls (this is the important part here), fireworks, etc how docker volume mapping works....

I watched the vid. It was great. But at the same time, Squid does make a valid point about docker volume mappings....

Thanks, guys. Glad you like the videos:)

@Squid Yeah a video on Docker principles would be a good idea. I hadn't thought of that.

And I love arrows, handwaving and pointing. But fireworks, I've been told, I am not responsible enough to touch fireworks ;)

However, I love the idea of dancing girls but not sure what the girlfriend would do if she came home and saw some girls in the house dancing

in front of my rig! I would just tell her it was your fault and she may just fly to Canada and kick your ass. Then where would we be without

your awesome plugins being updated.... :)

I also watched it! Great video. Very easy to understand. New users will find it helpful despite the missing dancing girls and hand waving.

A couple of comments, not trying to be critical in any way. I applaud this and other efforts to overcome a considerable knowledge gap in our users.

- a nit, but I believe even and odd parity are two conventions driving party. With even parity the sum of the bits are even with parity, with odd the sum of the bits is odd. But the way you used even and odd makes perfect sense and it matters little which convention is used.

- on dual parity, you missed a couple important opportunities. The second drive is dependent on the order of the disks, so reordering disturbs dual parity. An ever so slight overview of how dual parity works was missing, as compared to the pretty heavy treatment of regular parity, down to the xor, was a bit disappointing. :) I hoped to learn something about dual parity!

- we always talk about parity in the context of failed disks, but truth is, more often than not, parity is helping users recover from their own mistakes, rather than drive failures. I could count on one hand, maybe one finger (remembering Weebotech's flood), the number of times I've seen more than one accrual drive failure at once. But it would take all my fingers and toes, maybe multiple times, to count the number of times mishandling of failures caused by intermittent connectivity issues have pushed users to the edge of disaster. Like it or not, protecting yourself from yourself is the greatest benefit from dual parity!

Again, great job and great video. Keep up the good work. Will be looking forward to the R rated version for Squid's viewing pleasure!

-

Again, great job and great video. Keep up the good work. Will be looking forward to the R rated version for Squid's viewing pleasure!

Just figured that dancing girls would be able to help draw attention to key points in a vid about volume mappings that are hard to explain how they work unless you understand how they work and then realize just how easy it actually is.  :D

Just figured that dancing girls would be able to help draw attention to key points in a vid about volume mappings that are hard to explain how they work unless you understand how they work and then realize just how easy it actually is.  :D

The boobs really open up the mind for learning. ;D And the shape seems well designed for an explanation of 0's. How about 1's?  Hmmm ...

• 2 weeks later...

I also watched it! Great video. Very easy to understand. New users will find it helpful despite the missing dancing girls and hand waving.

A couple of comments, not trying to be critical in any way. I applaud this and other efforts to overcome a considerable knowledge gap in our users.

- a nit, but I believe even and odd parity are two conventions driving party. With even parity the sum of the bits are even with parity, with odd the sum of the bits is odd. But the way you used even and odd makes perfect sense and it matters little which convention is used.

- on dual parity, you missed a couple important opportunities. The second drive is dependent on the order of the disks, so reordering disturbs dual parity. An ever so slight overview of how dual parity works was missing, as compared to the pretty heavy treatment of regular parity, down to the xor, was a bit disappointing. :) I hoped to learn something about dual parity!

- we always talk about parity in the context of failed disks, but truth is, more often than not, parity is helping users recover from their own mistakes, rather than drive failures. I could count on one hand, maybe one finger (remembering Weebotech's flood), the number of times I've seen more than one accrual drive failure at once. But it would take all my fingers and toes, maybe multiple times, to count the number of times mishandling of failures caused by intermittent connectivity issues have pushed users to the edge of disaster. Like it or not, protecting yourself from yourself is the greatest benefit from dual parity!

-

Thanks bjp999 and thanks for the pointers on the video :)

Done the video Squid

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=56593.msg540106#msg540106

but just couldnt find how to map the girls in sorry. Maybe i could do a special one for you lol :)

• Like 1

Done the video Squid

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=56593.msg540106#msg540106

but just couldnt find how to map the girls in sorry. Maybe i could do a special one for you lol :)

You haven't been around here long enough to remember this viral vid and how informative it was  ;)
  • 1 year later...