Destination folder access denied

The unraid user and password that you used for the secure and private shares need to be set as the same username and password that you log into Windows with. (It also wouldn't hurt to double check that you gave that user read or read/write access to the share in unraid... I ran into that issue recently myself.)

When the unraid box you are accessing from windows has multiple security levels defined, (public, private, and secure) you need to make sure the very FIRST share you access is the highest level you need. If you access a public share first, then windows will provide default windows login credentials and is obviously granted access without prompting. Then when you try to access a more secure share, even though windows pops up a dialog asking for user and password, IT WILL NOT WORK.

Windows will not allow multiple connections to the same server with different credentials. You must disconnect ALL sessions so that a fresh connection with the proper credentials can be made. If you have a mapped drive or some persistent connection to a public share that automatically connects on reboot, you can be beating your head against windows forever and not make a connection.

6 hours ago, jonathanm said:

When the unraid box you are accessing from windows has multiple security levels defined, (public, private, and secure) you need to make sure the very FIRST share you access is the highest level you need. If you access a public share first, then windows will provide default windows login credentials and is obviously granted access without prompting. Then when you try to access a more secure share, even though windows pops up a dialog asking for user and password, IT WILL NOT WORK.

Windows will not allow multiple connections to the same server with different credentials. You must disconnect ALL sessions so that a fresh connection with the proper credentials can be made. If you have a mapped drive or some persistent connection to a public share that automatically connects on reboot, you can be beating your head against windows forever and not make a connection.

Can you explain the part of disconnecting all sessions? How to clear it windows? I don't see anything in the name of tower in credential manager. Not sure where to proceed from here. 

Be sure to read about a dozen posts beginning with this one:

https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/25064-user-share-problem/?tab=comments#comment-228392

There are several SMB login gotcha's explained here. Some are rather obscure.  (One piece of good advice is to make sure that all of your user names on unRAID are unique to the entire LAN!)

Having said this, there appears to be another set of issues that some folks have encountered with the most recent builds of Win10.  But these generally had (in common) the issue of not be able to connect even to the public shares on the server.  One more thing, I believe the only way to disconnect from a SMB session is to reboot (or restart) the Windows computer.  

EDIT:   Found this from LimeTech:

To get above to work, you would close any windows that might have a previous connection to the first public share, then open a command window and type "net use * /delete".  That command closes all current server connections.  Now click on your Private share and enter "curly" user name it will work this time.

Edited by Frank1940
  • 2 months later...
On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:24 AM, Endy said:

The unraid user and password that you used for the secure and private shares need to be set as the same username and password that you log into Windows with. (It also wouldn't hurt to double check that you gave that user read or read/write access to the share in unraid... I ran into that issue recently myself.)

How to do this ??? I use Microsoft Log in which is my email and Users cannot include the @ symbol  

12 minutes ago, farang31 said:

How to do this ??? I use Microsoft Log in which is my email and Users cannot include the @ symbol  

If the unRAID user doesn't match the Windows user it will prompt you when it first accesses the server, then Windows will remember the login you used for the server.  Where people often get hung up is due to Windows not letting you use a different user after it already has a login for the server. If you need to access the server as a different user, you can fool Windows by using the IP instead of the servername. Or you can go to Control Panel - Credential Manager and clear any unRAID credentials so it will renegotiate.

I have done the following and Still same problem.

Deleted All users - raid

Made New Users (1 with password / 1 without) - raid

Cleared everything in Credential Manger (Both Web and local) - local computer

Rebooted Both Nas and then Computer

Mapped Drive

Still cannot Write (Permissions) only can ready from Raid.

• 2 weeks later...

Public I only have public

I have also tried removing users and setting up news ones

Doing the same in windows and tried using different computers to log in

I am trying to write to Mapped user share

99% of the time I cannot write (weird sometimes I can for about 20 minutes then it stops again saying I dont have permission) 100% I can read from any computer.

I have also run "new Permissions" in tools 

I think your problem is probably with md11      (Disk11)

shareNameOrig=XXX&shareName=XXX&shareComment=XXX&shareAllocator=mostfree&shareFloor=0&shareSplitLevel=&shareInclude=disk3&shareExclude=&shareUseCache=no&cmdEditShare=Apply&csrf_token=****************
Mar 25 19:56:58 Tower emhttpd: Starting services...
Mar 25 19:57:19 Tower emhttpd: req (4): startState=STARTED&clearStatistics=Clear+Statistics&csrf_token=****************
Mar 25 19:57:19 Tower kernel: mdcmd (56): clear 
Mar 25 20:02:21 Tower kernel: REISERFS error (device md11): reiserfs-2025 reiserfs_cache_bitmap_metadata: bitmap block 288915456 is corrupted: first bit must be 1
Mar 25 20:02:21 Tower kernel: REISERFS (device md11): Remounting filesystem read-only

Here are the instructions on how to repair disks that use the reiserfs file system:

https://lime-technology.com/wiki/Check_Disk_Filesystems#Drives_formatted_with_ReiserFS_using_unRAID_v5_or_later

Now, I should tell you you that I have never repaired a disk (due more to luck then anything else)  so I can't provide you with any more info at this point.  Perhaps  @johnnie.black might jump in here...

@Frank1940  When checking or repairing a disk it really should normally be done via the GUI to avoid users mistyping command lines and possibly causing even more damage.  The link you provided is from before there was GUI support for this operation, or when you want to repair a disk that is not part of the array.

To do this via the GUI you stop the array; restart it in Maintenance mode; click on the disk in question in the Main tab;  scroll down to the bit of the resulting dialog that is used for checking/repairing file systems.   From there you can check the file system or if you remove the no-modify flag run a repair instead.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, itimpi said:

The link you provided is from before there was GUI support for this operation, or when you want to repair a disk that is not part of the array.

Thanks, I didn't realize this feature was now a part of the GUI.   @farang31, you now have a  easier method to use to see if the file system on that disk is repairable.  

hey guys  Well we are at a 99% fix. somehow it drops the connection after around 100 GB tf but I think that might be might IP settings. I am now at batch 13 to back up so I will wait until all done then try new IP and DNS settings.

Main point I can write again

Cheers

Matt

• 4 weeks later...

Your syslog only contains a few seconds after reboot so not much to go on there. You should always take diagnostics while the problem is occurring.

Most of your disks are completely full, and you haven't set minimum free for your user shares. My guess is you are corrupting your filesystems by trying to write to full disks.

Please take some time to read the help for the settings page for one of your user shares. Minimum free should be set larger than the largest file you expect to write. This will make unRAID choose a different disk when it starts to write a new file. Other important settings that control which disk unRAID chooses to write are allocation method and split level. Study these and ask if you have any questions.

The simplest thing would be to not let your disks get so full in the first place. And you really need to consider getting your disks on XFS instead of Reiser. You're going to have to dedicate some time and effort to getting these things fixed or you will just keep having problems.