Sata Controller replacement question and advice

TheCDay

So first is the setup. I think the controller I am using in my system is borked. I have posted a couple different topics, and the results of them a telling me the controller is dropping disks when the load gets high. 

Second the question. Can I just pull the old controller, plug in a new one and the hard drives and keep all my precious data?

Third, advice, I am looking to be cost conscious on my replacement controller. I would like to get an 8 port sata three controller. 

I am looking at https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABMK5VN0549

Its in my price range, but im wondering if it will shimmy my data about in a decent way? I will only have spinning disks attached to it. 

There are cheaper options (like any of the SYBA thingys) but im just not sure, any sage advice is much appreciated. 

Also THANK YOU!!!! This forum has been great help as I try to get my feet under me with this new system . 

Edited by TheCDay

You want to avoid either of those, the first one has a port multiplier, that's and accident waiting to happen, the 2nd one is no longer recommended for unRAID, it can cause sync errors including file corruption and drop disks, the currently recommended 8 ports controllers are LSI, any LSI with a SAS2008/2308/3008 chipset in IT mode, e.g., 9201-8i, 9211-8i, 9207-8i, 9300-8i, etc and clones, like the Dell H200/H310 and IBM M1015, these latter ones need to be crossflashed.

• Like 4

Awesome, I found a refurb Avago LSI SAS 9211-8i that I am going to grab. 

Thank you so much for the advice. 

Now are there any considerations regarding swapping this controller out? Am I going to need to do anything special? I poked through the docs and this does not seem covered, or I am blind. 

• 2 years later...
On 2/3/2018 at 12:57 PM, johnnie.black said:

You want to avoid either of those, the first one has a port multiplier, that's and accident waiting to happen, the 2nd one is no longer recommended for unRAID, it can cause sync errors including file corruption and drop disks, the currently recommended 8 ports controllers are LSI, any LSI with a SAS2008/2308/3008 chipset in IT mode, e.g., 9201-8i, 9211-8i, 9207-8i, 9300-8i, etc and clones, like the Dell H200/H310 and IBM M1015, these latter ones need to be crossflashed.

I'm just learning about SAS and it appears these controller cards are indeed SAS cards.  So from what I understand, SATA cables / hdds can be connected to a SAS controller card, however, do you have to do anything special to the controller card so that it reads SATA (perhaps in the BIOS)?  Or is it just plug and play?  Thanks.