No pci detected (No 10 gbe card)

Hello I have the X540-T2 Anyfabric card and after upgrading to 6.5 I keep getting this during the kernel load

"pci 0000:08:00.0: [firmware bug]: disabling VPD access (can't determine size of non-standard VPD format)"               - Picture attached.

Also the unraid doesn't seem to be detecting any pci network cards.

I also realized the if the power is interrupted to the server, upon booting it finds the network card but the array wont start (clicking start array does nothing)

no network diagnostic:

tower-diagnostics-20180331-1328.zip

network showing diagnostics:

tower-diagnostics-20180330-2232.zip

maybe @limetech can verify if Lenovo ThinkServer X540-T2 AnyFabric 10 Gb 2-Port Base-T Ethernet Adapter by Intel is supported in the 6.5 and if you can help with the matter.

BTW I only have an Asus RT-N16 router and the second port is connected to a windows 10 pc with intel x540-T2 card (I don't have a network switch)

unraid error.JPG

Edited by Albahttiti
added details
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Albahttiti said:

@johnnie.black I dont think so since Ubuntu is able to detect the network.

00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation C610/X99 series chipset SMBus Controller [8086:8d22] (rev 05)
    Subsystem: Intel Corporation C610/X99 series chipset SMBus Controller [8086:7270]
    Kernel driver in use: i801_smbus
    Kernel modules: i2c_i801
01:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller 10-Gigabit X540-AT2 [8086:1528] (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Lenovo ThinkServer X540-T2 AnyFabric [17aa:1073]
    Kernel driver in use: ixgbe
    Kernel modules: ixgbe
01:00.1 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller 10-Gigabit X540-AT2 [8086:1528] (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Lenovo ThinkServer X540-T2 AnyFabric [17aa:1073]
    Kernel driver in use: ixgbe
    Kernel modules: ixgbe

04:00.0 RAID bus controller [0104]: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic MegaRAID SAS-3 3108 [Invader] [1000:005d] (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Lenovo ThinkServer RAID 720ix [17aa:1053]
    Kernel driver in use: megaraid_sas
    Kernel modules: megaraid_sas

NICs detected and driver loaded

00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation C610/X99 series chipset SMBus Controller [8086:8d22] (rev 05)
    Subsystem: Intel Corporation C610/X99 series chipset SMBus Controller [8086:7270]
    Kernel driver in use: i801_smbus
    Kernel modules: i2c_i801
04:00.0 RAID bus controller [0104]: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic MegaRAID SAS-3 3108 [Invader] [1000:005d] (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Lenovo ThinkServer RAID 720ix [17aa:1053]
    Kernel driver in use: megaraid_sas
    Kernel modules: megaraid_sas

NICs not detected = hardware problem, possibly an intermittent problem, since sometimes they do work, same might happen with Ubuntu

On 4/1/2018 at 3:59 PM, Albahttiti said:

I dont think so since Ubuntu is able to detect the network.

From  your diags (thanks for posting those btw), there is this line:

Mar 30 22:05:36 Tower kernel: ixgbe: Intel(R) 10 Gigabit PCI Express Network Driver - version 5.1.0-k

I'd be curious what version your Ubuntu install is using.

Here's why I'm asking.  There are two "ixgbe" drivers: one in-tree linux kernel driver, and one available from the Intel download site.  The Intel download is currently at version 5.3.6.

This is something which is fairly common in the linux world, that there exists an in-tree kernel driver for a device and also a vendor-maintained driver.  Most of the time one is based on the other.  Obviously this is a maddening situation: why can't a vendor just maintain the in-tree kernel driver?  I posed that question to a kernel developer who works on the in-tree ixgbe driver and this is their reply:

That's a good question, and it doesn't get talked about much.  The same team at Intel in fact *does* support both of the drivers - I know because I used to be a part of that team.  Yes, there are differences in the two drivers, because different customers have different needs.  The in-kernel driver must follow all the rules of a standard Linux driver, so has some restrictions placed on what it can offer.  The out-of-tree driver has extra features and some configuration variables that are not allowed in the Linux kernel, but which make the driver a little more flexible for some customers' needs.  Some customers are restricted to straight Linux kernel and the drivers it offers, and some customers are able to use alternative drivers.

There are efforts to keep the drivers in sync with bug fixes and changes in the Linux kernel, but they're not always perfectly aligned.  As for the version numbering, those are to be taken with a few grains of salt...  they are not really kept as closely in line as they should be, but then it also takes a little longer to get changes into the kernel.

The problem we have is that if we use a vendor-supplied driver, often (but not always), it will not compile without error on a new linux minor kernel release.  This presents us with a dilemma: we either are stuck on the current kernel or we  have to revert back to in-tree driver.