Slow Parity Rebuild

Hi All

having some issues building my parity, this isn't writes to the server or anything but just parity rebuild.

It is at 30MB/s, now I wouldn't usually care that much but this machine was a pre-built QNAP that had very fast transfer times and raid rebuild, it seems weird that I'm stuck at 30MB/s when the tests I run on each of the drives is 150MB/s reads (using the drivespeed docker). 2 * 4TB and the parity drive is 8TB.

Note: 2 things to note,

1. It transfers faster with files downloading (from a docker container download) getting speeds up to 60MB/s
  2. There is no change with docker enabled or disabled

Attached is the diagnostics.

Thanks!

Ash

tianding-unraid-diagnostics-20201212-2306.zip

I think that did it, getting more consistent around 70-80 after reseating. Probably faster when Dockers are down but not fussed about it.

Also seeing my processor cores consistently at more utilization whereas before was stuck around 42% overall with one core at 100%. Probably causing issues there. Appreciate the help.

Cheers,

Ash

Hi there,

The call traces definitely look to be pointing as the cause of the problem.  Out of curiosity, can you try upgrading to 6.9-rc1 to see if that changes anything for you?  6.9 is on a newer Linux kernel and I'm curious of those call traces get resolved by upgrading.  You can try this by going to the Tools > Update OS page, selecting "Next" from the drop down there, and then installing RC1 and rebooting your server.  Let us know how that goes and after, please include an updated system diagnostics.

All the best,

Jon

Thanks for the reply @jonp!

I installed 6.9 rc1 and no change. When doing a parity rebuild I still get the problems before. Max 40MB/s, faster when downloading large files from a program in Docker and the Traces are still there.

I did try a few added things to see if I could fix it but neither of them fixed anything.

1. Tried Booting into Safe Mode
  2. Tried Booting with Bios instead of UEFI

Additionally I have issues with where the WebGUI is unresponsive when I start the Parity Check

tianding-unraid-diagnostics-20201217-1223.zip