nXt's Build

My main PC was getting too messy/noisy/hard to maintain with having a bunch of hard drives attached, decided I needed to build myself some sort of NAS. Some IRC folks recommended unRAID Server. That night I downloaded the trial and put it on a mini-pc with 3 really old IDE/SATA drives. I was blown away by the simplicity of getting it up and running, that night I started to put together a list of hardware to buy.

1.5 years later, I've upgraded hard drives, swapped hard drives, blew up a PSU, blew up a hard drive, broke a hard drive and I'm still loving it.

I'm currently running version 5.0 Beta 2 and looking forward to future release of the web GUI FTP feature to be implemented.

Current specs:

OS at time of building: 5.0 Beta 2

CPU: AMD Athlon Dual Core Processor 4850e

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 (rev. 1.x)

RAM: PNY 2x1GB

Case: Lian-Li PC-62

Drive Cage(s): Cooler Master STB-3T4-E3-GP 4-in-3 Device Module Hard Disk Cage

Power Supply: Antec BP550 Plus 550W

SATA Expansion Card(s): Syba Silicon Image 3114 SATA 4-Port

Cables: Standard SATA cables

Fans: Standard fans that came with case

Note: Everything except the CPU/Motherboard and Drive Cage were spare parts I had laying around. The beauty of unRAID!

Parity Drive: Seagate Barracuda Green SATA 3Gb/s 2TB 5900 RPM (ST32000542AS)

Data Drives: 1x Seagate Barracuda Green SATA 3Gb/s 2TB  5900 RPM (ST32000542AS)

4x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA 3Gb/s 1.5TB (ST31500341AS)

1x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA 3Gb/s 1TB (ST31000340AS)

Cache Drive: WD 500GB 7200 RPM (WD5000YS)

Total Drive Capacity: 8.18 TB

Primary Use: Storage (Music/Games/Movies/TV Shows/Anime/HD/Etc...) Streaming to WD TV Live Plus

Dislikes: Linux, long wait time for SAMBA connection after a reboot/power up

Add Ons Used: unMENU

Future Plans: Just upgraded to the Pro license and bought a Rosewill 218 4port SATA card, will be adding 2 more drives really soon.

IMG_1247.JPG

IMG_1251.JPG

unRAID.jpg

Very nice nxtiak. I have the exact same case so I got a few questions for you. 1. How is the noise level, my gets a little louder than I would like, so I'm thinking about replacing some of the stock fans. 2. How are the temps on that drive in the external 3.5 slots? Thanks.

Very nice nxtiak. I have the exact same case so I got a few questions for you. 1. How is the noise level, my gets a little louder than I would like, so I'm thinking about replacing some of the stock fans. 2. How are the temps on that drive in the external 3.5 slots? Thanks.

1. Noise level is pretty loud. I have it in another room. The front lower fans have a speed setting, I keep it at low, but still noisy.

2. Temps range from 25-28C when idle. 28-36C when it's fully active. I know it's higher than most people like, but I've yet to have any issues. The box is on 24/7