[SOLVED]Unraid 6.8.3 Drive Order - physical vs logical order

peppingc

With Unraid 6.8.3 once an array has been configured and the drive letters assigned (sda, sdb, etc) does it matter if the drives are moved around on the same controller?  I have a HP Microserver Gen8 where the 4 HDDs are attached to a single SATA backplane attached to a single SAS cable connected directly to the motherboard.  I have my 2 x 5tb HDDs located directly next door to each other in the first 2 slots and my 2 x 4TB HDDs in slot 3 and 4.  I've noticed the 5TB HDDs run a little warm so wanted to shuffle them around to a 5/4/5/4 arrangement.  The array is currently live and contains data on all drives, the 1st 5TB is my parity drive.

3 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

No, devices are tracked by serial number.

Thanks, that's what I thought from previous dabbling with UNRAID on my old N36L Microserver some time ago, just wanted to make sure it was still the same.  I did check in the FAQs and online manual but couldn't see it mentioned there.

Edited by peppingc
  • peppingc changed the title to [SOLVED]Unraid 6.8.3 Drive Order - physical vs logical order