Supermicro chasis buying help

WhazZzZzup17

Hello, I'm struggling looking for the correct Supermicro Chasis to purchase.

Basically I have a computer that I use for my server with 15 drives and I need a bigger box for my drives. I have a new rack delivered recently.

I currently have an i5-3570k and 16gb ram with (2) LSI SAS 9207-8i SATA.

Since I'm new to this, can someone confirm I can purchase a box similar to the one below and use it straight out of the box? I'm looking for the SQ power supply too to keep the system quiet. There are multiple box types ranging around 500-550 with shipping.

The link below seems to come with a full server and rails, but not sure if I need anything else and if I can continue to use my same system. This system looks to be faster than mine as well, but not sure. Thanks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-4U-36-Bay-LFF-Server-X9DRi-LNF-Xeon-8-core-3-3Ghz-64GB-HW-Raid-5-6-/133417769784

2 hours ago, ramblinreck47 said:

Are you cool with more power consumption and a 2U layout? That’s what you’ll get with that Supermicro build.

I'm more interested in buying a chasis to use more drives and the hot swappable is a big plus. I have a new empty rack, so this unit which is 4 units will fit on my rack.

The power consumption of 10 dollars more a month for the CPU isn't a big deal breaker. I'm okay using my parts assuming everything will work, but I'm not sure. My raid connectors have no more spots, but I'm assuming with these supermicro boxes I just need to connect the back and front plane and I'm fine?

2 hours ago, whipdancer said:

$500 is a chunk of change for a minor upgrade (at least in the CPU)...

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Xeon-E5-2643-vs-Intel-i5-3570K/1217vs828

All I need is a box. Do you have an alternative with swappable drives?

Also, the link you posted is for (1) CPU and this build has 2 CPU's. If that makes this a lot faster, the extra hundred bucks for the internals isn't a dealbreaker because I can repurpose my current server. Would I be able to use my current LSI raid controllers though? as I heaard the AOC-S2208L-H8IR 8 Ports SATA SASmay have issues.

My current system is just a computer box with no swappable. This box runs 400-500 barebones.

11 minutes ago, WhazZzZzup17 said:

Also, the link you posted is for (1) CPU and this build has 2 CPU's. If that makes this a lot faster...

2 CPU's only matter if what you are doing can take advantage of 2 CPU's.  If you are running VM's and containers - 2 CPU's will come in handy.  If you are just storing data, you will just spend more $ to store that data.  This will not really run much faster than your current CPU.  It will just take more work to slow it down.

If what you need is drive slots, then it's probably worthwhile.

8 minutes ago, whipdancer said:

If what you need is drive slots, then it's probably worthwhile.

Thanks, I'm just looking for a box. My only question is, can I use my same specs with the LSI controllers? I don't know how the front and backplanes work with so many drives. Is it just one cord for the front and one cord for the back that connect to (1) LSI raid controller. I have two currently.

I'm new to chasis, so any help would be great. I'm looking at a 36 bay with sever rails and I have heard they are noisy so I would focus on a power supply with SQ within the model number

5 hours ago, WhazZzZzup17 said:

I don't know how the front and backplanes work with so many drives.

The backplane have SAS expander so it can fan out the uplink from HBA to connect many disk in blackplane, but all disk are share this bandwidth.

5 hours ago, WhazZzZzup17 said:

I'm looking at a 36 bay with sever rails and I have heard they are noisy so I would focus on a power supply with SQ within the model number

If you need 36 bay in one box, then it really no much choice, due to 12 bay was at rear bottom part of mainboard, then the height of CPU heatsink will be limit to 2U only, you will have this limit everytime for upgrade mainboard/CPU.

The other problem is SQ PSU not support for consumer ATX power plug, you need confirm have wire adapter for general ATX mainboard.

Edited by Vr2Io