Thunderbolt (again)

Hi

Please can we have proper Thunderbolt implementation/support? Most of the time it isnt plug and play and having to reboot the host so that we can use an egpu is a joke.

Promox does not have this issue so why are we having to wait so long for UNRAID to have TB3 support? New boards are slowly adopting TB3 and up coming TB4 controllers, it's about time we started to take this seriously.

Edited by mikeyosm
  • Like 1

The issue is not whether TB devices can be seen or passed through, the problem with most TB3 onboard or cards is that UNRAID does not handle removable egpu correctly. Example, you need to make sure the egpu is connected before starting unraid, if disconnected when UNRAID running, the host needs to be rebooted.

1 hour ago, mikeyosm said:

The issue is not whether TB devices can be seen or passed through, the problem with most TB3 onboard or cards is that UNRAID does not handle removable egpu correctly. Example, you need to make sure the egpu is connected before starting unraid, if disconnected when UNRAID running, the host needs to be rebooted.

How about a thunderbolt dock like the CalDigit TS3? I wouldn't ever be unplugging the thunderbolt cable. Just plugging and unplugging stuff into the dock (usb, headphones, sd card, etc.)

2 minutes ago, johnestan said:

How about a thunderbolt dock like the CalDigit TS3? I wouldn't ever be unplugging the thunderbolt cable. Just plugging and unplugging stuff into the dock (usb, headphones, sd card, etc.)

I bought the seagate gamers tb3 dock to do exactly that although havent had a chance to test it yet, I hope it works as intended.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2020 at 6:06 PM, mikeyosm said:

I bought the seagate gamers tb3 dock to do exactly that although havent had a chance to test it yet, I hope it works as intended.

OK, so today I tested my Seagte firecuda Thunderbolt 3 gaming dock and when plugged in to the TB3 port UNRAID does not detect it.

I also tested it using a standard USB C cable (USB 3.1 mode) and UNRAID did detect it so UNRAID has a definite issue with Thunderbolt.

2 hours ago, mikeyosm said:

OK, so today I tested my Seagte firecuda Thunderbolt 3 gaming dock and when plugged in to the TB3 port UNRAID does not detect it.

I also tested it using a standard USB C cable (USB 3.1 mode) and UNRAID did detect it so UNRAID has a definite issue with Thunderbolt.

The main problem with Thunderbolt that it has different security levels and when a device is not autorized then Unraid can't detect it because it's not autorized.

Unraid is capable of Thunderbolt and can query the security level, is also capable of autorizing the device and seeing it on the Kernel level since it's implemented but a userspace tool is missing to authorize the device so that you or better speaking Unraid can detect and see it.

4 hours ago, ich777 said:

The main problem with Thunderbolt that it has different security levels and when a device is not autorized then Unraid can't detect it because it's not autorized.

Unraid is capable of Thunderbolt and can query the security level, is also capable of autorizing the device and seeing it on the Kernel level since it's implemented but a userspace tool is missing to authorize the device so that you or better speaking Unraid can detect and see it.

I turned off thunderbolt security in the bios and unraid still doesn't see it. Is there anything I can try or see in the logs to troubleshoot?

3 minutes ago, mikeyosm said:

I turned off thunderbolt security in the bios and unraid still doesn't see it. Is there anything I can try or see in the logs to troubleshoot?

No, you can turn off security as much as you want, some devices needs to be authorized at least on Kernel level.

Edited by ich777
15 minutes ago, ich777 said:

No, you can turn off security as much as you want, some devices needs to be authorized at least on Kernel level.

Ah might explain why my egpu shows but the Dock doesnt. Im ready to ditch unraid for ubuntu so I can use my thunderbolt devices. I tested it and plug n play works fine.

I tested it again after powering off both the host and TB3 dock and now UNRAID detects it - not sure what was going on but probably something screwy with BIOS. Anyways, still can't plug n play the dock, however, I can plug and play USB devices (samsing T5) connected to the dock, better than nothing I guess.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
23 minutes ago, Dtrain said:

plugged in before Boot

Pretty sure this is not going to work with 6.9.2 as-is.  Please unplug the device, open terminal window, and type (or paste) command above.  This creates a file called /etc/udev/rules.d/99-removable.rules

After that file is present, then hot plug the device and see if it it's recognized.

We will be publishing 6.10-beta soon, any further work on this will need to be accomplished in this release.

Note: for anyone wondering: we simply added Linux kernel support for Thunderbird/USB4 per user request.  We made no "promise" that we are committed to Thunderbird/USB4 support in any particular release; however, during the 6.10-beta/rc series we will take a hard look at this assuming assistance from those interested in helping to get this working.

• Like 1

Not working !

I believe some Steps left out ... when i read here

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.13/admin-guide/thunderbolt.html

"If the security level reads as user or secure the connected device must be authorized by the user before PCIe tunnels are created (e.g the PCIe device appears).

Each Thunderbolt device plugged in will appear in sysfs under /sys/bus/thunderbolt/devices. The device directory carries information that can be used to identify the particular device, including its name and UUID."

But that folder "thunderbolt" does not exsist ...

grafik.thumb.png.e3be6a828397dbea5cd4a6046650028c.png

Edited by Dtrain
update
30 minutes ago, Dtrain said:

I believe some Steps left out ... when i read here

Some of that might be out of date.  Anyway I noticed in researching this the other day there are both CONFIG_THUNDERBOLT and CONFIG_USB4 kernel options.  The USB4 settings are not enabled in the kernel for 6.9 but are for 6.10.

1 hour ago, limetech said:

Note: for anyone wondering: we simply added Linux kernel support for Thunderbird/USB4 per user request.  We made no "promise" that we are committed to Thunderbird/USB4 support in any particular release; however, during the 6.10-beta/rc series we will take a hard look at this assuming assistance from those interested in helping to get this working.

well i appreciate your efforts, lets see the outcome in the next release !
Thank u for stepping in and try to help

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 1/31/2021 at 10:20 PM, Tungmeister said:

Anyone made any progress on this? I've just acquired a Lenovo Legion GPU dock and was hoping to set it up with a Win 10 VM on my z490m mobo - could I pass the entire controller to the VM to bypass the isssue of unraid detecting the dock after a power cylce?

@DtrainDid you ever get this working?  I also have a Legion and the dock shows but not the gpu?

On 12/18/2020 at 9:57 PM, johnestan said:

I like the idea of passing through a thunderbolt port into a VM, and using thunderbolt to transfer video and usb to a work station dock. Is thunderbolt passthrough working at all? On intel, AMD, built in, or PCI card? 

Passthrough for Thunderbolt ports/controllers doesn't work the same like it does for USB. Thunderbolt devices appear in your VFIO list as separate items and therefore their device number/mapping changes depending on the TB devices that are plugged in. 

I don't think you can passthrough an entire Thunderbolt controller either, whether it's a PCI-E expansion card or built-in.

Here's an excerpt of the IOMMU groupings from my old system (Gigabyte Z390 Designare) and what it looks like with a TB3 10G NIC plugged in that helps to show what I mean.

IOMMU Group 20:
	07:02.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 Bridge [Titan Ridge 4C 2018] [8086:15ea] (rev 06)
IOMMU Group 21:
	07:04.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 Bridge [Titan Ridge 4C 2018] [8086:15ea] (rev 06)
IOMMU Group 22:
	08:00.0 System peripheral [0880]: Intel Corporation JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 NHI [Titan Ridge 4C 2018] [8086:15eb] (rev 06)
IOMMU Group 23:
	3c:00.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 USB Controller [Titan Ridge 4C 2018] [8086:15ec] (rev 06)
IOMMU Group 24:
	3d:00.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation JHL6340 Thunderbolt 3 Bridge (C step) [Alpine Ridge 2C 2016] [8086:15da] (rev 02)
IOMMU Group 25:
	3e:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation JHL6340 Thunderbolt 3 Bridge (C step) [Alpine Ridge 2C 2016] [8086:15da] (rev 02)
	3f:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Aquantia Corp. AQC107 NBase-T/IEEE 802.3bz Ethernet Controller [AQtion] [1d6a:87b1] (rev 02)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

sorry for the bump

now that 6.10 rc1 is here and has initial support for thunderbolt 

what are the steps to enable it?

it's not under network settings in GUI

IP LINK SHOW stats that it's there but down

any commands needed to enable/authorize it?

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

as stated in 6.10 RC1 thread...

Thunderbolt works now with full functionality.

Big thanks to Limetech to make this possible.

Now i can get rid another PC witch was just running on a weekly Basis to make Backups...

Using Unraid right now with a via Thunderbolt connected DIY BOX for Backups

image.png

Edited by Dtrain
  • 4 months later...
On 8/31/2021 at 9:15 PM, Dtrain said:

as stated in 6.10 RC1 thread...

Thunderbolt works now with full functionality.

Big thanks to Limetech to make this possible.

Now i can get rid another PC witch was just running on a weekly Basis to make Backups...

Using Unraid right now with a via Thunderbolt connected DIY BOX for Backups

image.png

in 6.10 RC2 thread, can you hotplug?