New NIC for eth0, old IP no longer usable...

This is now the third time that I have observed this behavior ... Every time a new network card is installed for eth0, the old IP can no longer be used.

When i use my old IP, i can ping the server, but no webGui or somethig else... only a change of the old IP to a new one helps...

Can someone explain to me what the problem is?

Is that the intention of unraid?

Edited by Zonediver

Do you have an Internet modem that is assigning addresses from a DHCP pool?

Does that pool overlap your server address?

Many (perhaps most?) modems will automatically build a table of MACaddr + IP address then

reserve that IP address.  That's so if you reboot some device, it gets the same IP address

each time. I've had issues where the modem default was to have the DHCP pool be the

entire /24 address space.  So an old NIC's MAC address / IP address pair remains in it's table.

It's called IP Reservation on some devices, Static Lease on others.

My particular modem has a GUI to allow adding/dropping MAC addresses from that table, and

that fixes such things for me. Your modem may vary...

-- Tom

Edited by Tom3
typo
27 minutes ago, Tom3 said:

Do you have an Internet modem that is assigning addresses from a DHCP pool?

Does that pool overlap your server address?

Many (perhaps most?) modems will automatically build a table of MACaddr + IP address then

reserve that IP address.  That's so if you reboot some device, it gets the same IP address

each time. I've had issues where the modem default was to have the DHCP pool be the

entire /24 address space.  So an old NIC's MAC address / IP address pair remains in it's table.

It's called IP Reservation on some devices, Static Lease on others.

My particular modem has a GUI to allow adding/dropping MAC addresses from that table, and

that fixes such things for me. Your modem may vary...

-- Tom

No and no

This has nothing to do with my Cablemodem or Router (IPFire).

When i change the Router, i get the same problem - i can't use a previous used IP on unraid.

As soon i do this, i have no longer access to unraid... even when i disconnect Modem and router, i can't access

unraid with a previous used IP... this is f.... weird...

Edited by Zonediver