[solved] Unraid 6.8.3 Failing Drive(s)

openam

Yes, emulated disk4 mounts and shows 3.2TB of data so the repair must have succeeded. And it doesn't look like there were any lost+found from the repair. That is what you would get from rebuilding assuming the rebuild succeeds. But let's don't go there yet.

Do you have backups of everything important and irreplaceable from your server? Since it looks like you should have access to all your files now would be a good time to copy anything you want to another computer in case there are further problems with rebuilding.

appdata is all on cache. Looks like you also have CA Backup plugin installed so I assume you have appdata backed up to the array. That backup is compressed so you could just copy the backup if you want.

I always say you get to decide what is important and irreplaceable. Some things can be recreated or redownloaded if lost. Some things can't.

Well it looks like the preclear is going to be taking a while. I'm at 8% into the the pre-read almost an hour in.

image.thumb.png.b3cfa13bcaa3e46344dcb81327046696.png

I did copy the CA Backup archive to another server. It was much bigger than I thought it would be. Anyways I believe I have all the important/irreplaceable items copied to the other server now. (note to self set up an rsync job between servers).

The good news is that I seem to have stopped getting warnings about Seek error rate. I've been copying some stuff off the array, and haven't received one of those warnings for about 3 hours now. I did shut down the box again and reseated the cables again. I pulled the drives out of the hotswap bay, and blew it the dust out with compressed air. Maybe one of those things helped. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess I'll be picking this back up tomorrow. After the preclear what are the next steps. I assume I just stop the array, assign this new drive to disk 4, and start it back up. Is that correct?

Just posting an update. The read phase of the preclear has completed, and I'm about 22% (2:22:25) through the Zeroing phase. It appears that disks 3 and 6 are now showing has healthy now. I don't think I'll have any problem re-building disk 4 at this time. It looks like it'll probably be the middle of the night or tomorrow before the pre-clear will all be completed.

I'm curious if after I install this new 8TB as the new disk 4, if there is any way for me to pull it back out, and use it as a 2nd parity disk? i.e. if I used unbalance and moved all data off of disk 4 is there a way to edit the config, and remove it out of the array? Or something like that?

4 hours ago, openam said:

I'm curious if after I install this new 8TB as the new disk 4, if there is any way for me to pull it back out, and use it as a 2nd parity disk? i.e. if I used unbalance and moved all data off of disk 4 is there a way to edit the config, and remove it out of the array? Or something like that?

Tools - New Config will let you assign any disks however you want and then optionally and by default rebuilds parity based on the new assignments. In the case where you remove a data disk from the array you must rebuild parity.

• Thanks 1