12-Core Ryzen / Asrock X570D4U / 35W TDP / Low Noise

@doesntaffect dude, I plan almost identical system!
I plan X570D4U-2L2T or X570D4U. I have 2x3200 GB ECC Kingston (hey, same as yours!) (you sure 2666 is still max??? Did you try 1.10 bios?). I already ordered Noctua NH-C14S (same as yours!). Can't decide between Define 5, 7 and 7XL

I'll use 4650G for now (iGPU passthrough for virtual PC), I will wait for AMD Warhol. If it will work with this mobo, I will buy it. If not (AM5 maybe?) then 5900X probably. For now I complete my 1st NAS device, so no need to buy extravagant PC. Not mentioning too much ram - 64GB total.

Any problems? Any issues to avoid? Any not obvious things to keep in mind?
How SATA works? Any problems? Some ppl complain about AMD SATA MOBO ports.
I see you populated both MB NVME slots. Any issues?

Bios 1.10:

1.Update AGESA ComboV2 to 1.1.0.0
2.Support Ryzen 5000 series CPU

The system is 100% stable since day 1. No issues, no problems. It just sits there and works. The max memory speed has been confirmed by Asrockracks technical support. I didnt play with the memory OC features since stability is important for me and I dont need a couple more megabyte/sec memory bandwidth.

I also didnt try the 1.10 bios because it doesnt add any features I am missing. I would only flash it for a Ryzen 5000.

I'd say this board and the config (cooler, memory, case, NVME cards) is a fire and forget thing. Set it up, configure it and you are done. All disks work well, have a decent troughput, especially the NVME Raid 10 is amazingly fast.

The only two things I remember from the build process to be aware of is, that the ATX cable needs to be long enough since the connector on the board is at the top, wich requires a bit of cable length to allow bending of the cable properly. And, secondly, that the IPMI password can only be 16byte long. If you set a longer password, login will not work.

I think my 1st post covers all the points.

I also did the upgrade from 6.9 RC2 to the final release, which took 5 mins incl reboot.

• Thanks 1

THX!
Since I am unRAID newbie (I never installed it yet TBH) I have a questions:
1. Why and how did you make such powerful cache?

Cache 0: 2x 512GB Transcend MTE220S NVME SSDs Raid 1

Cache 1: 4x 960GB Corsair MP510 NVME SSDs Raid10.

What exactly which array does?
2. How did you get such fancy M.2 radiators? On the open market? Were such thinks a bundle part of SSD?

3. I bought 4650G for now for price of 3600(x). I thought that iGPU may be pass-through for virtual WS2022 for better experience while ASM2500 will be for remote management only. But what do you think about leaving ASM2500 as ONLY one card in the system. Any considerations?

PS. I did "Thanks to bomb" on you. Thanks.

Edited by CobraPL

Your questions:

1. Why and how did you make such powerful cache?

A: Because I can :). Seriously, I wanted to learn how this works and I wanted structure my system in a clean way. The way I structure my data is basically:

• Disks for cold data and Backups
  • Small NVME cache for VMs only
  • Large NVME cache for a photo / video library (50K photos / >2K videos; no movies) and 14 docker container
  • USB Disk to move certain backups off the system

I picked 4 SSDs and the raid10 config for the large cache to have a fast, mirrored cache which still has plenty of free space. I didnt want to build this, copy all data and immedialty run out of cache space, especialy since this would reduce the lifespan of the SSDs. You could say I use the cache as as a super fast drive, compared to the slower harddisks.

2. How did you get such fancy M.2 radiators? On the open market? Were such thinks a bundle part of SSD?

A: The red NVME cooler are from Amazon (12 Euro) and do an excellent job, same as the M.2 adapter card with its large cooler surface.

3. What do you think about leaving ASM2500 as ONLY one card in the system. Any considerations?

A: If you dont need strong GPU performance in your VMs you can perfectly live with the ASM. I have a few server VMs (Linux only) and a Win10 VM running and they only use virtual GPUs. The Win10 is my Virtual Desktop I use to edit the videos or to do other stuff directly on the file shares (So I dont need to copy / paste files between the Unraid host and my Laptop) and the performance on a Macbook, using MS RDP client is really good. I wouldnt need a dedicated GPU for the VM. So since you plan to run Win2022 Server I'd suggest to better have a CPU with more cores/cache and same TDP as the AMD APUs. I also started with an MSI Board and a 4 core Low Power APU but I didnt use the AMD integrated GPU for anything. So I went all in, in the matter of professionalizing the setup and changed CPU, Board, mem, case etc to the current setup.

I did place the memory wrong in the beginning, however fixed that. I think I remember I could set the Speed to 3200 in the Bios, which did work / boot. So I reached out to the support and they confirmed 2666 is the max. speed - which makes sense since the two dimms are dual rank (DR), where the limit is 2666. As written early, I didnt spend any time in the Memory OC settings (OC settings in general are amazing and you can configure every piece of the board / CPU).

Screenshot from my disk config attached:

grafik.thumb.png.f4427f737402f6a7574fdceb33b45ab4.png

Edited by doesntaffect

Since I plan to use unRAID and I have zero experience, I confuse cache for disk write and cache for VM.
Can I e.g. one SSD (Samsung PM983 960GB) for both my VM (e.g. 50GB) as de-facto SSD for this VM
AND
The same SSD disk for write cache with option to not start HDD until e.g. 750GB is written to SSD, then start corresponding HDD(s), write whole 750GB, power down HDD(s) and free space on cache SSD. Does it work that way?

About RAM, I think you may be wrong:
"they confirmed 2666 is the max. speed - which makes sense since the two dimms are dual rank (DR), where the limit is 2666"
For 2000 series Ryzen yes. Both you and me use 3000 (Matisse), in case of two banks usage in slots 1234 2 and 4, 3200 speed is stated in manual.
Anyway, I will report my findings after I build my set myself.

image.thumb.png.bf297de571a8a6c7977d8e0abc74ef99.png

My comment: nice thing with BeQuiet! - I will use slightly more expensive version with 5x4 SATA slots and maybe Define 7XL with space for 18HDDs (be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 550W 80 Plus Platinum). I will overpay not that much money, while having room for LOTS of HDDs. I also see on Polish ebay equivalent:
Mellanox ConnectX-3 CX322A
LSI SAS 9201-16e H200e JBOD

Both rise some questions. I will ask the seller.

What router you have? I plan this one:
https://mikrotik.com/product/ccr2004_1g_12s_2xs

My usage will be different, since I will provide "1" in 3:2:1 backup scheme over VPN.

I will also invest in cheap 18TB Ultrastars. I will use unRAID superb possibility of easily adding new drive to an "array".

Edited by CobraPL

Memory Speed settings in Bios:

grafik.png.2936908c9f2a9280b2ad715f28e30535.png

Since the system is super stable I dont mind to change these settings. However, the memory is recognized as DDR4-3200 in the Bios main screen.

Regarding SSDs - I'll try to explain it simple, but if you have more general questions I suggest you post the the general support section.

As you can see in my earlier post I have 6 SSDs in two "pools". The small pool is a raid 1, the large pool a raid 10.

Once I had my harddisk up and running I created several shares like you can see below. For each share I configured how to make use of the SSD caches. For some shares I dont need caching (NO), for some I want the data to "preferably" reside on the SSD if there is enough space on the SSD (e.g. for my VMs). And for some shares I decided to first write on cache, but once the mover kicks in at night the data gets moved to the harddisks and will be removed from the cache (Yes: Cache or XCache).

There is also a "Only" option which means you keep data only on the cache but I see a risk here, should you run out of cache space, especially when the cache drive is shared between shares hence I changed that to "prefer" so data can overflow to the harddisk if a cache runs out of space.

So, depending on the purpose you can configure your shares to make use of an SSD cache or not and to what extend. If you have two shares (VM and Data), you could configure the VM share to keep the data on the SSD (Prefer:Cache) and for example to only keep new files on the SSD for the Data share, until the mover gets invoked (Yes:Cache). However, this probably will only benefit you when you copy large amount of data to your UnRaid host over a network connection that can exceed the harddisk write speed (More than 100 - 130MB/Sec). There might be also other reasons to cache data drives, but that could be explored in a separate post :).

My network is Gbit / Gbit WIFI and the UnRaid is bonded with 2x1GBit to the network. I dont use a special router since my Internet connection is just a 100Mbit connection.

Hope that helped.

grafik.thumb.png.f01f007a891a835909d768105ec9f906.png

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, doesntaffect said:

Well, I might find time this week to play arround with this and to share the results here. Would be nice to see how you are progressing with your buld.

Everything except Mikrotik is already ordered. I have some parts at home. I'll have latest BIOS and I'll share info about ram speed.

Server is WIP. De-facto done, waiting for more trays and PCIe x1 3.0 ASM1166 controller.
I saw it already - completely silent, ram at 3200, no USB 2.0.  I'll report when ready.
BTW., Where is ECO mode in BIOS? I searched for few minutes (BIOS 1.10) and failed to see any.
My NOCTUA is much bigger. I may have some problems in case of switching to rack-mounted case.

Edited by CobraPL

Eco Mode is in Advanced / Overclocking Settings. You can configure the TDP etc. manually or just enable the Eco Mode - which is a good compromise between performance & wattage I think.

How did you configure your memory resp. which setting did you change to reach 3200mhz?

I also noticed there is no USB 2.0 port, however a USB 2.0 stick as boot media works well. Dont use a USB 3.0 stick. Thats gonna fail 99% after a few days. I experienced that a few times at the beginning and you dont need to go through that :)

• Thanks 1

Not sure. My technician just put RAM in correct place and updated the BIOS.
Today I started the server for the 1st time. Ran into issues.
HDD 18TB HGST/WD, capable of 270MBps, with cache disabled, 1GBps network I have:
50MBps write over SMB

6.5MBps read over SMB

(from/to W10P)

• 3 weeks later...

Do you want to use the dock to be able to swap the disks?

As you can see on my pictures, all my disks are internal and UnRaid does the spin down.

I use one external usb disk, 4 TB, to back up critical data, compressed and encrypted and since I have a O365 account I use the 1TB online storage as external encrypted backup storage.

I use duplicati to run backups.

Swapping is possible with this but is not my main focus. The on/off button is my main focus.

To have the data completely offline while server is running but the disk stays in place.

With USB drives i have several bad experience while moving them. And for me it is not necessary to move my backup anyway.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I spend a few hours today to update both BIOS and BMC to 1.20. 

Result - so far, everything works fine. 

Details: 

Most time consuming was to create a DOS USB stick that is bootable. I tried it through VMs and my Mac setup, however ended with an old Windows Laptop I had to revive, and used the Rufus tool. 

• The BMC Update took 10 mins, and I did it remotely through the JViewer. The JViewer disconnects during the update. I pinged the BMC IP and reconnected once it came up again. 
  • Biosupdate also approx 10 mins through BIOS /  Instaflash, with file on the same USB stick also worked. 

A few things to note: 

Some BIOS settings got reset, like the PCI Bifurcation I am using for my NVMEs. That caused a little heart attack when I first started the host. Had to go back to BIOS and re-enable that. 

Also, the BMC admin password got reset to default "admin", so I had to change that again. 

Below 2 screens from the BIOS flash and the finished BMC update. 

1584230608_InkedScreenshot2021-10-18143514_LI.jpg.afeb2ebaa016a39fb825b7fdc54d4ef8.jpg

1043723987_InkedScreenshot2021-10-18140921_LI.jpg.519988703f09f9b4409ca640a12ed273.jpg

Update regarding stability - system is still stable since day one, haven't add any issues so far, even with the more complex NVME setup. 

Edited by doesntaffect

Added a 2x 120mm fan holder to improve the airflow around the NVME adapter, GPU and X570 chipset. I sometimes get a temperature warning for the NVME disks in the adapter card (just above 40° celsius, not really concerning) and want to address that. 

X570 temps dropped from 61° to 45-47°.

Fans are 2 x Noctua NF-S12B redux-1200 PWM. Also added a 4x PWM Splitter with a 3M tape on the backplate. Worth to note, the system would not boot if a fan is connected to the first "CPU" connector of the splitter. 

Updated photos below, also showing final cabling.

IMG_2426.jpeg

IMG_2425.jpeg

IMG_2423.jpeg

IMG_2424.jpeg

IMG_2430.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I have set up a similaire config to yours, but I have an issue. Unraid, and Bios does not detect that I have 128Gb of memory. Only 64GB is detected. I checked the RAM (2 and 2), both worked normally, But when I put them together only (chanel A or B is detect). I checked the bios and BMC version and I think they are up to date with the information published on the website. https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X570D4U-2L2T#Download. Could it possible that the RAM I am using is not compatible with the board? Is the list published in the ASROCK website exclusive? https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X570D4U-2L2T#Memory 

My Config:

• MOB X570D4U-2L2T
  • Ram: Kingston FURY Beast 128GB (4x32GB) 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 (KF432C16BBK4/128)
  • Processor: Ryzen 5900X

Bios and BMC version:

image.png.509469fbe3da5db786e16a6b68867b76.png