12-Core Ryzen / Asrock X570D4U / 35W TDP / Low Noise

23 hours ago, doesntaffect said:

if you want a correct answer send a message to the ASRock Support through their Website form. And I suggest to stick to the memory they have in their QVL. Your memory is OC Memory as I see it, not sure if that and the XMP profiles work on that. If you want a safe and stable bet, go with the memory I used, see 1st post. 

Hello,

Thanks a lot.

The issue has been resolved.

For the moment, everything is great since I purchased the KSM32ED8/32ME

Is there anything else I need to do in the BIOS to make my setup perform better?

Thanks

258910849_263043609209062_7454452907365812057_n.jpg

259152064_1049568719195367_7640983445891857525_n.jpg

Great to see that your system is running well now. Are you only using 2 disks and 2 NVMEs?

Please check the memory speed in the Bios, it should be set to 1600MT (which is 3200mhz). You can also try to set the CPU to Eco if you want to play around with lower power consumption - performance should still be more than great with the 5900X.

26 minutes ago, doesntaffect said:

Great to see that your system is running well now. Are you only using 2 disks and 2 NVMEs?

Please check the memory speed in the Bios, it should be set to 1600MT (which is 3200mhz). You can also try to set the CPU to Eco if you want to play around with lower power consumption - performance should still be more than great with the 5900X.

Ok Thanks for the suggestion. I will do the same.

Yes, indeed, I have 2 NVME Disks 1 + 1 TB and 2 (4TB) SATA Disk 

At the beginning I wanted to start with the same configuration as yours. My heart is wavering between using Proxmox and Unraid. This machine will host basically a kubernetes cluster with a lot of running pods, Github runners and some development VMs. So I don't know if Unraid is a good choice for my scenario or not.
If I go with Unraid should I have 3+1 Disks as start? 

Edited by radouani

So you'll have lot of I/O and (I assume) the need to backup all the data. I have been using my config for a year now and I would build it the same way. I have 15 dockers incl. a large picture library db and a few dev / testing VMs.

I wanted to a fast caching drive for all the dockers and SSD Disks, that's why I bought the 4x NVME card from Asus to use the 4 960GB NVMEs in Raid 0+1, which gives me 1.92TB Caching space which is redundant due to Raid 1.

I am using the onboard M.2 for two 512GB SSDs in a Raid0 cache, which I am using as a fast backup target. During the night the Mover moves the backups to the Disks.

Regarding disks, how much space do you need? If you need 4 TB, then you need to add a 4TB parity drive. If you need 8TB and have 2x 4TB disks, then you need another 4TB disk for parity. So your parity drive has to be as large as the biggest disk, 

hope that helps. :)

• 2 months later...

I have system reset/"unsafe shutdown"(it is reset) once per 24h of running server. I just updated BIOS/BMC and disabled global C-STATE. Any other recommendations?
Ram is ECC, I checked it anyway, no problems.
BTW where is exactly ECO mode in BIOS 1.20? I saw only general option: Power plan - Performance mode or Energy efficient mode. Is it the same?

SMU.JPG

ECC2.JPG

ECC1.JPG

IOMMU.JPG

Edited by CobraPL
On 2/12/2022 at 9:00 AM, CobraPL said:

I have system reset/"unsafe shutdown"(it is reset) once per 24h of running server. I just updated BIOS/BMC and disabled global C-STATE. Any other recommendations?
Ram is ECC, I checked it anyway, no problems.
BTW where is exactly ECO mode in BIOS 1.20? I saw only general option: Power plan - Performance mode or Energy efficient mode. Is it the same

I cannot recall where that feature was hidden, since I sold that board already. My current config is in the EPYC watercooled thread. 

Regarding your system resets - Did yo reset the bios and did a memtest to see if there are any configuration issues or a faulty memory module? 

1 hour ago, doesntaffect said:

I cannot recall where that feature was hidden, since I sold that board already. My current config is in the EPYC watercooled thread. 

Regarding your system resets - Did yo reset the bios and did a memtest to see if there are any configuration issues or a faulty memory module? 

updated BIOS/BMC, disabled global C-STATE, disabled aggressive SATA, disabled CPPC. I think it stopped resetting, need more testing. RAM is multi-byte ECC, it passed all tests

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello! Just got an 5900x + MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS + 2x16gb silicone power ddr3200 (xmp\no xmp no matter)

Installed fresh new windows 11 on NVME samsung and..

I've got a terrible energy efficiency! 110-140w from the wall!

For comparison I got [email protected] +z68 and it consumes only 73-75w in windows idle!

There is No matter if I run win 10 or with 11 - in any way it consumes 110-150w in windows idle!

I'm shocked.. I thought that new platforms much more energy efficient than old.

I tried to set eco mode 45w in bios. I see drop of power constumtion in windows statistic programs.. 

But there is no difference in consumption from the wall! I have a wattmeter right in my 220v socket..

I have tested many times and still got the same sad results.. 

I see few different articles where 5900x tested for idle consumption and it shows 70-80w

Why I have so big power draw? Maybe it because of MSI bad mainboard? 

I tried lots of bios options ..still no result

Please help...

• 1 month later...

Wow, so I don't need an extra GPU if i pick a powerful AM4 cpu?! I am stocked! I was looking around and I found ASRock Rack X570D4U-2L2T as someone already mentioned i think, which has that arm chipset with vga controller in it - i didnt think it was enough to let unraid power up though! Fascinating. I need to chase down the best X570 server board now for my Fractal Design XL (v1 - yes, it's that old haha - I can fit up to 15 drives and plenty of cooling in it - if there's not enough - just dremel some more holes ;) )