Emby vs PLEX

ytddewqf

Hi, 

I have been using Emby for some time and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm in the middle of a system upgrade (motherboard, ram and cpu) and want to ask for people's thoughts regarding which is best optimised for unRaid, Emby or PLEX? 

I appreciate that there are a lot of variables, but I want to gauge overall community feedback. 

For info, I am slowly upgrading my video collection to 4K. 

People's thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

11 minutes ago, StevenD said:

I use both. I prefer Emby in the house, and Plex for sharing with family.

Do you find any difference in streaming service between the two, quality wise? I appreciate PLEX will be handling remote playback for family, but I find Emby can be a little temperamental with remote streaming. 

My view is...

Plex is dependant on an internet connection, and has a symbiotic relationship with the plex company's resources for normal everyday tasks.

Emby is local, and doesn't need to communicate with the emby company except to verify license for some features. I can still use Emby even if my internet is down.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, LoneTraveler said:

Do you find any difference in streaming service between the two, quality wise? I appreciate PLEX will be handling remote playback for family, but I find Emby can be a little temperamental with remote streaming. 

Like I said, I only use Plex for remote streaming.  Emby is used in the house, and everything is Direct Play.

On 12/20/2020 at 9:39 AM, ich777 said:

Just to throw another competitor in the ring, why not Jellyfin. ;)  :D

It's very promising, but I don't think it's quite there yet. Especially if you want to share access with others.

Edit: I want to add that it's been over a year since I've last tried it.

Edited by CrashnBrn
6 hours ago, CrashnBrn said:

Especially if you want to share access with others.

With a reverse proxy or a port forwarding to the Container I see no problem of sharing access (I also don't use it but feom time to time I give it another try and it is expanding and getting mature very quick).

EDIT: Keep in mind it's a fork of Emby and Jellyfin is completely free so you have to do something on your own to meke it accesible from "outside".

Hello,

i'm using PLEX and Jellyfin both on the same Server in Docker. These Dockers are connected through a Reverse-Proxy.

Both Systems uses the same Graphic-Card and i see no Issue in Video-Quality.

I reencode my UHD BDs in H265 1080p/8Bit and H265 4K/10Bit, most of the Streams where streamed with DirectPlay. Transcoding with the NVidia Graphic Card is awesome in both Streaming-Servers. PLEX has now the Feature to transcode HDR2SDR, this is the only advantage.

I love Jellyfin because you have your own User-DB, not a registered Plex-User.

sd007

• 1 month later...
On 12/20/2020 at 10:12 AM, LoneTraveler said:

Hi, 

I have been using Emby for some time and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm in the middle of a system upgrade (motherboard, ram and cpu) and want to ask for people's thoughts regarding which is best optimised for unRaid, Emby or PLEX? 

I appreciate that there are a lot of variables, but I want to gauge overall community feedback. 

For info, I am slowly upgrading my video collection to 4K. 

People's thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

I have used both, PLEX for about 1 week, and Emby since it was known as MediaBrowser (MB).  Emby has been extremely simple, very configurable, and has a lot of clients.  I have a lifetime Premiere account so I am clearly all in on their product.

20 hours ago, qprints said:

If it happens again I’ll try and get a screen grab

I would love to see this nag screen as well.  As I refer Emby to friends, some may not go for the Premium account.  Is this on the server side, or the client side?  Client side I could understand because they want you to get the Premiere account and it really is worth it for all the other server-side features you get.

• Thanks 1

I have always liked Plex a bit better than Enby. But the nice thing about Enby is that it is open source-- or rather, it WAS open source. Now I see no reason to use Enby over Plex.
Now, if you want something that is still open-source use Jellyfin. It's the fork of Enby that was made after Enby went closed-source. Jellyfin is a tiny bit more rough because it's a FOSS project now. But on the upside, it also has less bloat than Plex. It won't advertise to you to get a premium account or try to get you to watch "Plex TV" and all the other stuff they have stuffed into Plex these days.
Jellyfin also has all features unlocked from the start whereas Plex has a premium tier. Jellyfin is truly, completely yours on your own server with no payments and no connection to a corporate entity.

If you want the FOSS, totally-free, totally self-hosted option, and are okay with it being a bit more rough, get Jellyfin.
If you want it looking perfect, professional, corporate, want it to go through Plex's servers, don't mind premium features, and don't mind the extra bloat, get Plex.

On 1/25/2021 at 9:58 AM, qprints said:

I get this nag screen using the LG tv app, I have attached an image but missed the 10 second countdown

I don’t need or want any of the “premium” features, I’ve read there is a plug-in to use kodi front end with emby, so will look into that

8D1B5BA6-99E1-412D-9EC5-0D25DAD0270D.jpeg

I'm using the Screenplay app on my LG. No nag screen & I find it a good simple TV app for accessing my Emby. (I have the official Emby app installed as well but rarely use it. Aside from the nag screen, I find it slow.)