Big sir Macinabox- iCloud works but iMessage error

16 minutes ago, mortenmoulder said:

Created an account just to comment on this: No longer works. This used to work, but even if we try this, and en0 is the "default interface", the Messages app still gives a, "An unknown error occurred" error.

The posted method is usual procedure since many mac OS / OSX versions back and it still works. If en0 appears and the message app, etc. still not works there is an error in the SMBios, wrong version, serialboard number, or serial number...

https://www.hackintosh-forum.de/forum/thread/35160-imessage-facetime-fix/

• Like 1
4 hours ago, derpuma said:

The posted method is usual procedure since many mac OS / OSX versions back and it still works. If en0 appears and the message app, etc. still not works there is an error in the SMBios, wrong version, serialboard number, or serial number...

https://www.hackintosh-forum.de/forum/thread/35160-imessage-facetime-fix/

Unfortunately that didn't work. I went this route instead, and that worked flawlessly for me: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/universal/iservices.html#fixing-en0

I knew my serial number was good to go, so I went to install the NullEthernet patch (the kext and compiled AML file). Added them into OpenCore Configurator then added the files into the Kext/ and ACPI/ folders in the EFI partition, then rebooted the VM and it magically worked. Both iCloud and iMessage now works!

Edited by mortenmoulder
6 hours ago, steve1977 said:

Facing the same issue. Serial is fine. Tried to delete the two files suggested above, but still no luck with message and cloud.

I tried the link to the hackintosh forum, but couldn't find anything about the patch. Could you help with a step by step guide?

Did you try https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/universal/iservices.html#fixing-en0 as I linked to? NullEthernet patch was the one that made it work for me.

12 hours ago, mortenmoulder said:

Unfortunately that didn't work. I went this route instead, and that worked flawlessly for me: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/universal/iservices.html#fixing-en0

I knew my serial number was good to go, so I went to install the NullEthernet patch (the kext and compiled AML file). Added them into OpenCore Configurator then added the files into the Kext/ and ACPI/ folders in the EFI partition, then rebooted the VM and it magically worked. Both iCloud and iMessage now works!

May I ask which motherboard and chipset you have? So you do not use onboard Ethernet? Usually the vanilla version works fine and only machines with external Network card (USB to network for example) need the extra kext to fix that kind of problem.

Hi all,

take into account that imessage/facetime can be a lot problematic to make them work; appstore and icloud are easier most of the time to make them working.

The issue can be fixed easily, for example changing vmxnet3 to e1000-82545em, or by adding the built in property to en0, or fixing wrong smbios data, or it can be more difficult:

More information and links are on 

Read all the 30 pages, there are a lot of useful info, including problematic icloud/appstore/imessage/facetime.

I personally had the issue of "unkown error" and an "impossible to login to facetime/imessage, with an unlock code provided" when logging in imessage/facetime and at the end this resulted an issue with apple server, which only apple could fix, and this means calling apple at the phone, explain and hope to find a good and prepared person :D

If you "play too much" with smbios data (and this happens to all, especially at the beginning, when you try to fix or optimize things) and you log into apple services, each device will be added to your apple account: if the devices are "a lot" apple may blacklist some functions for "protections".

This was what happened to me, when i logged in into my account I could see 6-7 devices added (which I then removed)!

Edited by ghost82
23 hours ago, mortenmoulder said:

This solution worked for me! I ended up not needing the NullEthernet patch but I followed the steps for properly adding the en0 to the config file and afterwards iCloud/iMessage/Facetime worked with no issues.

Thanks again!

23 hours ago, derpuma said:

May I ask which motherboard and chipset you have? So you do not use onboard Ethernet? Usually the vanilla version works fine and only machines with external Network card (USB to network for example) need the extra kext to fix that kind of problem.

I use an ASRock B550M Pro4 motherboard and I am using the onboard ethernet controller. No external one.

I am 100% sure, that a B550 Board does not need an extra kext to get Ethernet working with iMessages/iCloud.

As ghost82 already mentioned I would try the following steps:

1) Setup propper XML with the right bios OVMF and Q35 for mac OS.

2) Setup network to <model type='e1000-82545em'/>

3) Setup propper SMBios with a non registered Serial, etc.

4) Delete network kexts in

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

and reboot.
5) Look if your En switched to En0 via System Preferences/Network
6) Setup network to "internal" with the help of hackintool to get the pciRoot and add that via opencore config.plist to the boot process.

7) Done

Using the Nulleternet.kext might work, but it is not the vanilla way to get your network point up to the start and you might suffer at the other end with bad latency or lower transfer speeds as this kext is made for other network cards.

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Null-Ethernet

Note: Having a real Ethernet port with working driver or a real PCIe WiFi device with working AirPort driver is a better idea. This is to be used as only a last resort where getting working built-in WiFi or Ethernet is not possible.

• 5 weeks later...

If anyone from the future stumbles upon this topic and has everything set up properly but keeps getting the message below when attempting to sign into iMessage

To use iMessage with this Mac, contact Apple Support and provide the code below.

Customer Code: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX
Apple ID: [email protected]

Your appleID is probably blacklisted. Your only choice is to call or chat with apple support and let them know you think your apple ID is blocked.  It's possible you've had too many attempts under your current serial number which caused your account to be flagged. In my case I kept getting the message even after starting fresh with a new VM install/new serial number/trying a new apple ID/calling apple to unlock my old apple ID. I'm fairly certain my WAN ip address was causing the problem due to too many attempts to login.

After doing a DHCP release/renew and getting a new IP address from my ISP and calling apple again to unblock my account I was able to sign into iMessage. 

Hope that helps someone after hours of pulling my hair out. 

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

I found on a Surface Pro 6 under Big Sur, my EN0 kept showing not built-in. I had to follow the steps to add the SSDT-RMNE.aml to the config.plist file under the ACPI section. Just use the Dortania tutorial, and then drop the file into the EFI/OC/ACPI folder once you download it from the link into your System EFI on Mac, then reboot.  Most systems already have the Ethernetnull kext installed and line in OC plist file, so no need likely.  Just verify it is already there like many are in the kext section.

I tried adding the PCI using hackingtool method, but it would never identify it correctly and show built-in, no matter what PCI device I added to the line, it just shows as an ethernet and wireless device, but built-in never shows checked.  As soon as I dropped that ssdt file and did the plist, rebooted, another ghost adapter showed up in the Network under the working one in Mac OS Big Sur.  And iMessage started working immediately. 

Good luck. Thanks for the site, hope this info helps others.

Edited by techlogik