Can i mix SAS and SATA drives when using an HBA that supports both?

Hello People,

im currently looking for an HBA to use for my NAS, im not in any hurry to get it so i am primarily looking on ebay to find a deal on a used one.

Now i found multiple HBA´s that support SAS 12G and SATA 6G but i cant find any details if that means i can only use one or the other or if i can mix them as i like.

Lets say i get an HBA with this chip

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/76066/intel-raid-controller-rs3uc080.html

I would connect it via the SFF8643 ports to the backplanes of my case which also have SFF8643 ports.

The backplane also supports 12G SAS and 6G SATA so am i right to assume that it should be no problem at all to mix between SAS and SATA drives on the same backplane?

beside if its technically possible is there anything i should expect in terms of problems when i do this, would it make more sense to stick to SATA only or to have one backplane that only uses SATA drives and the other one with SAS drives?

does any of this matter at all?