One drive running hot, incredibly high usage. Any ideas?

41nkE5d.jpg

I noticed that Disk 7 had been running really hot and i never really paid too much attention to the writes/reads, as it was the last drive I installed. However, as they kept creeping up, I noticed that it became way out of line compared to anything else. It's the newest drive and has by far the most reads and almost as many writes as my parity drive, which is just insane.

I imagine it is driving the heat up on every other drive near it, which I think are drives 2, 3, and 5.

Currently running Unraid 6.8.3, Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2, Supermicro X9SCM, 32GB RAM. I'm running a Plex docker with Sonarr, Radarr, Lidarr, Bazarr, and a reverse proxy with Letsencrypt and DucksDNS as well as Ombi to manage requests.

The drive in question only has TV shows and movies on it. All Appdata is on the cache drive, so there shouldn't be any problem there. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

tower-diagnostics-20201222-1144.zip

Since you haven't rebooted in a long time then assuming you haven't reset those numbers probably the high number of writes are simply due to the fact that most new files have been going to the new drive since other disks were already at or beyond their highwater.

Cooling issues are all about air flow

You have at least three drives that are running almost hot.  I would suggest that you investigate this situation as drives with higher temperatures are more prone to failure than those at lower temperatures.  Look first at dirt and dust blocking air intakes. Than check the fans to see that they are running and reasonably clean.   Clean the inside of the server.  (Do this where dust and dirt coming out of the case won't matter!!!)  

If this does not bring the temperatures down below 40C, look at the air flow through the case.  All air should first enter, pass over the the drives and exit at the behind the drives.   All fans behind the drives should be blowing out and fans in front the drives should blow in. 

Edited by Frank1940

i dont really see that anything is running very hot here, these drives are rated for over 60°C operating temperature and just as most WD drives they are running relatively cool.

my Seagate Ironwolf drives are idling at 44°C with good airflow and go up to 60°C during a rebuild.

• 4 months later...

Good point Pixel5.

I think so many read the various hard drive reports (Google, Microsoft, Backblaze) the reality is those tests were done in a purpose built data centers, where drives are idling in the 20's c.  It's nice that we all want to replicate that in our homes, however, realistically all we can do is optimize air flow through our cases.  Depending on where we live (ambient temps), and how cool you want to keep your home in the warmer months, you really can't expect to keep drives under 40c, unless you are keeping your house cool in the warmer months, or live in a cold climate.  I guess what I'm saying is, there is a trade off, and manufactures do provide a safe operating range for their drives knowing that not every drive is going to live in a data center.  Personally, I like my drives to idle in the 30c range, prefer them to operate under moderate to heavy load under 50c.  Lot's of great tools available to pause parity checks, shutdown servers based on the temps you are comfortable with.

Will I be more likely to have a failure, I suppose so, have I had a failure, NO.  I'm not spending hundred of dollars to keep my home as cold as a data center when I'm not home.

Edited by jbear