Wake on LAN problem on Gigabyte board

Hi all! I recently set up my unRAID (Gigabyte Aorus B450 M, Ryzen 2600, 16GB RAM, 4x4TB WD Red, GT710). I started going down spaceinvaderone videos and setting things up. My sleep routine works well, I set up some other plugins now as well. I followed the guide from the Wiki for setting up WOL (https://wiki.unraid.net/Setup_Sleep_(S3)_and_Wake_on_Lan_(WOL)) but I can't seem to make it work, no matter what I try. The packets are being received when the server is booted, however the wakeup is not going through. All the power saving stuff in BIOS is switched off, wake on LAN is on. The server as well as the clients from which I am trying to send the WOL command are all on wired network. I read through a bunch of entries here and other places, so it might be relevant to say that I don't see the network card activity when the server is in sleep (no lamps blinking on the RJ45 slot on the mobo, no lamps on the network switch).

Does anyone have an idea where I can go next in the troubleshooting attempts?

Thanks in advance!

On 12/24/2020 at 12:35 AM, hikipoklica said:

(no lamps blinking on the RJ45 slot on the mobo, no lamps on the network switch)

That will be problem.

On 12/24/2020 at 12:35 AM, hikipoklica said:

Does you execute "ethtool -s eth0 wol g" ?

Shutdown Unraid and LAN port have link/light ?

Edited by Vr2Io
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m trying to setup WOL on a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P (rev 1.0 bios ver F10) to work. No matter what bios settings I use (lan boot rom enabled, PME event wakeup enabled, Power on by Ring enabled, S3 sleep type etc) I can’t get the lan to stay awake (orange light) when server is shutdown. Also checked UnRAID and WOL g is set on eth0.  Would be great if someone knew the bios settings of these Gigabyte boards to help. Lots of conflicting info doing a search but as I said, I’ve tried all combinations and can’t seem to get pas this first step of keeping the lan “on” so the server can receive a WOL packet.

Edited by betaman
8 minutes ago, betaman said:

I’m trying to setup WOL on a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P (rev 1.0 bios ver F10) to work. No matter what bios settings I use (lan boot rom enabled, S3 sleep type etc) I can’t get the lan to stay awake (orange light) when server is shutdown. Also checked UnRAID and WOL g is set on eth0.  Would be great if someone knew the bios settings of these Gigabyte boards to help. Lots of conflicting info doing a search but as I said, I’ve tried all combinations and can’t seem to get pas this first step of keeping the lan “on” so the server can receive a WOL packet.

Just enable "PME Event Wake Up" ..... What method and tools you send wake-up packet ?

g0010_thumb.jpg

6 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

Just enable "PME Event Wake Up" ..... What method and tools you send wake-up packet ?

g0010_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your response. These are my exact settings and the issue is when the server shuts down the lan is completely powered off (no light). I also tried enabling lan boot rom in the advanced settings to no avail.

6 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

It you excute "wol g" before shutdown and no ethernet link established after, then you may can't solve that. From my experiences, no BIOS setting would help.

A simple method was add a cheap NIC to solve.

I didn’t put the -g command in go script but when I checked ethtool on eth0 it was there. I have another UnRAID sever on my network that wol works so I believe it is server (hardware) specific. Thanks