Looking for suggestions for first rackmount build

idwxyz

Hi all,

I've been running unRAID on a Dell PowerEdge T110 II since February. We've recently moved house and we'll be having ethernet installed throughout the new place in a couple of months along with several 4k IP cameras. The usual logical cascade happened, so now I want to upgrade and migrate my install to a rackmount case to stash it out of the way with the rest of the network gubbins.

Currently have:

- 4x 12TB HDD array 

- 2x 1Tb SSDs as a cache

Usage:

- The machine is a plex and file server for the house.

- In future I'm also interested in running some VMs for dev/hobby projects and possibly a windows VM for Blue Iris.

- The rack will be in the garage so noise isn't really an issue but ideally I only want a 600mm deep rack so a smaller chassis will be needed.

Budget:  around £1000 - I'm keen to overbuild this a bit now so that it can serve us for a long time with space to add storage as required.

I was thinking something like a Ryzen 3700x, 32GB RAM and a (low profile) 1050ti.

I found a 2U chassis that has 12 hotswappable bays (In-Win IW-RS212-02SC) but I don't know if that's a good choice or not?

I'm a bit lost on which motherboard and PSU options as presumably they're different to regular ATX options?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

1 hour ago, idwxyz said:

I found a 2U chassis that has 12 hotswappable bays (In-Win IW-RS212-02SC) but I don't know if that's a good choice or not?

Description say it support 1U and 2U PSU, but if according the photo, it support 1U only.

Photo show it have three 80mm fan, pros are have room for cabling, you may consider some case with four 80mm fan, but lost room for cable.

Photo show blackplane like a SAS type ( with SAS expander ), but description say it use have three 8087 socket ( each socket for 4 slot ) .... btw pls confirm photo match the product or not. ( PDF file bad link )

1 hour ago, idwxyz said:

different to regular ATX options?

They are regular ATX form factor, you need consider using what type CPU cooler with limited 2U height. For Sever type mainboard, RAM will turn 90 degree which won't block CPU air flow, so it can use those cooler without fan, but if you use consumer mainboard, then this type cooler won't suitable. With three fan in left side, then right side ( CPU ) airflow could be weak.

Edited by Vr2Io
45 minutes ago, Vr2Io said:

...you need consider using what type CPU cooler with limited 2U height...

That's an excellent point! As I'm not specifically constrained for height perhaps a 4U one would make more sense as it would allow for more airflow, a larger CPU cooler, a full ATX PSU and full height PCIe cards.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/4u-short-length-server-case-16x-35-hot-swappable-sata-sas-drive-bays-6gb-s-minisas-2x-525-bays

According to the description that case supports 16 SATA/SAS drives. I read about the Dell H200 being a cheap option for up to eight SAS drives, if that is still a good option, can I build the machine with one and add another later?

10 hours ago, idwxyz said:

can I build the machine with one and add another later?

You can if have suitable PCIe slot, this also common config by two HBA and four cable for 16 disks. ( In current setup with four ( or six ) disk only, you can continue use onboard SATA with 1 or 2 reverse cable insert 8087 socket )

But, you need to note, due to no fan wall in the middle, once insert more disks then the air flow will very weak due to serious air flow blocking in disk front side, and the result will be all component suffer over heat issue.

BTW, 4U and ATX/SFX PSU was a good direction.

I found a 4U case made by a UK company that looks like it might be a winner XK465F2 4u Rackmount Chassis E-ATX 120mm Fan Wall

I'm hoping that with the 120mm fan wall and a reasonable air cooler on the CPU that should be enough to cool a 3700x. It doesn't have hotswappable drive bays but realistically I rarely add or swap drives and a little downtime probably isn't the end of the world. It also doesn't have the SAS connections so I will have to look for a motherboard with more SATA ports.

Edited by idwxyz

I think I've settled on the hardware now, are there any glaring omissions or likely problems I'm missing?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£285.98 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (£79.99 @ CCL Computers) 
Motherboard: ASRock X470D4U Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£251.75 @ Newegg UK) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory  (£266.47 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Storage: SanDisk SSD PLUS 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For £0.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 12 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For £0.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 12 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For £0.00) 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB MINI Video Card  (£139.78 @ Aria PC) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£96.98 @ Currys PC World Business) 
Case Fan: Noctua S12A ULN 120 mm Fan  (£17.48 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £1173.39

Motherboard has 8x SATA ports so that will cover the six existing drives and allow me to add two more before needing to add a HBA.

Edited by idwxyz

Some commend

- Use 2 RAM module better then 4 module

- If add-on GPU not for gaming, plex, passthrough ( just be local console ), I may go to X570 ( Asrockrack have similar MB ) with 4000 series APU, i.e. 4750G ( or use IPMI VGA without iGPU / GPU )

If accept 8core ( no 16thread ), then recommend Intel 9700K route + C246 ( 8 port SATA ). This depends on your need or like.

Edited by Vr2Io
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll take you advice on going with intel. It seems that the motherboard options are more plentiful. I found one with 10 sata ports which should be more than I'll need.

Updated list:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£265.98 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (£79.99 @ CCL Computers) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte C246-WU4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£223.40 @ Alza) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory  (£263.47 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB StormX Video Card  (£146.94 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: Gigabyte P GM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£109.99 @ CCL Computers) 
Custom: XK465F2 4u Rackmount Chassis E-ATX 120mm Fan Wall (£120.00)
Total: £1262.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-05 23:45 GMT+0000