Upgrade questions

dopray

Hi,

I'm thinking about upgrading my system that currently consists of the following parts :

Antec NSK4480 II Super Mini Tower Black/Silver 380 Watt [CASANTNSK4480II-EC] (Antec EarthWatts EA-380D Green PSU i think)

Intel 945GCLF2 (Atom 330-Intel 945GC-MiniITX-DDR2 667-VGA) [MBIINTD945GCLF2] + 2GB Ram

Promise Pci Sata 300 TX4 Controller Card (4x SATA) [HDCPROSATA300TX4]

and the following disks :

1 WD20EARS (parity) , 2 WD10EADS + 1 WD20EARS (data) + 1 Maxtor 6B200P0 (cache)

This system now runs unRAID + sabnzbd + sickbeard without problems.

I would want to be able to run Airvideo server and/or Handbrake without problem and preferably as fast as possible as encoding takes a lot of time on my other systems. I live in Belgium (Europe) so probably will shop around on alternate.be .

In time i would want to add disks but my current case is reaching its limits it think. If avoidable i don't want to upgrade the case or PSU just yet. I'm now looking for a new CPU + motherboard + RAM so i can encode my videos. Do you have any suggestions? Do i need to upgrade my PSU?

And most importantly : Do i have to follow a certain procedure to replace these parts or can i just replace them and reboot?

Thanks for any help.

As long as your parts are compatible with unRAID the swap out should be pretty painless.

Just make sure you note in your Devices page the position of each drive you have installed. Not necessarily on your mother board, but in the unRAID Device page.

Then when you swap out your pieces and bring it up unRAID will know where each drive is and should run pretty smoothly. I would personally do a Parity check before and after just to make sure.

A good price/performance point would be the i3-530/540. Use the on chip graphics card and you should see some solid performance gains on the tasks you want to perform.

Do you have any suggestions for a motherboard to with an i3-530/540? Is Foxconn a good option? Or a standard Intel MB?

My current choice :

Foxconn H55MXV-LE DDR3-1333 GMA HD

Intel Core i3-540 3.06G 4Mb Skt1156

2 or 4 GB RAM?

Wouldn't change my PSU for now. But probably would have to if i expand my number of disks and case. Could my current PSU handle 8 drives?