SSDs and Cache

So I got a 480gb SSD as a gift, while I considered getting 2x240gb SSDs for cache, a single 480gb is something else than that.

I dont think I need more than 240gb cache drives really.

But now as I have it I am unsure about what I should do, just get another 480gb one as it was a gift, or try to get 240gb ones instead?

Or just stick with the one?

full disclosure im not really an Unraid pro as im only using it for a month now but my experience with SSD cache so far has been that i feel like my 250GB cache was not always enough for my needs.

Personally i got 2 250GB NVME SSD´s, one is for Appdata and basically everything that is constantly running and this seems fine so far in terms of space.

The other one is used for some shares that i liked to have cached one of which is my download share because unpacking archives is just so much faster if it happens on an SSD.

The one for downloads is getting full quite often and im already looking into getting another SSD with 500GB or 1TB so i can cache some other shares as well.

In your situation i would think about what you gonna use the cache for, if you never download like 100GB in a day and wanna have this cached you will probably be fine with the smaller drives but as usual once you get the hang of it demand increases.

16 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

full disclosure im not really an Unraid pro as im only using it for a month now but my experience with SSD cache so far has been that i feel like my 250GB cache was not always enough for my needs.

Personally i got 2 250GB NVME SSD´s, one is for Appdata and basically everything that is constantly running and this seems fine so far in terms of space.

The other one is used for some shares that i liked to have cached one of which is my download share because unpacking archives is just so much faster if it happens on an SSD.

The one for downloads is getting full quite often and im already looking into getting another SSD with 500GB or 1TB so i can cache some other shares as well.

In your situation i would think about what you gonna use the cache for, if you never download like 100GB in a day and wanna have this cached you will probably be fine with the smaller drives but as usual once you get the hang of it demand increases.

Do you download directly to the NAS?

If only cache could be used as a read cache too...

5 hours ago, Mihle said:

Do you download directly to the NAS?

If only cache could be used as a read cache too...

yes im running some stuff on the NAS that directly downloads to it.

Im still going this from the time when my internet was slow and downloads took a long time, now that my internet is super fast i dont technically need to do that anymore but its pretty convenient.

Cache drives are used a read cache if you set the share to cache only or prefer but it really depends on which what data you put on the drives if it will make any difference for you.

I have a question, Is "cache prefer" option a dumb or smart option if you get what I mean?
like, do it just try to put everything in a share in the cache "randomly" when its full, or does it like of the space available, prefer the files that was accessed or have the newest modified date or something?

Also, can you say that one share can only use 100gb of the cache drives maximum?