Compatible 2.5gbit NIC's (PCI or USB A)

Johan501

Hi,

I have a question about Unraid compatibility with 2.5gbit nics (PCI or USB A).

I use Unraid 6.8.3. Please say it if you need more info about my Unraid server and which Info you need.

My question is, which (budget)* PCI and USB A 2.5gbit ethernet adapters are compatible with Unraid?

And what to look for? I mean, it's possible that if you mention a NIC that it's not available in my country (Netherlands) so then I need some info in order to choose a compatible one.

(budget*) = about 30 - max 60 euros)

I bought a new motherboard for my game pc and it has 2.5gbit nic, so I want a new 2.5Gbit switch too, but before I even buy that switch, I need to know which PCI or USB A 2.5gbit nics are compatible.

Please use clear and simple information. I'm not a beginner with IT, etc, but not a Pro either.

Thanks in advance! :)

And happy holidays! :)

Kind regards,

Johan

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/17/2022 at 6:37 PM, doobyns said:

ASUSTOR AS-U2.5G2 (usb-c and usb 3.1 NIC) work natively on UNRAID

I just got this dongle and it doesn't get recognized. If I disable onboard it gives me a eth0 can't be found and no up address. I must be missing something.

1 hour ago, Rudakus said:

I just got this dongle and it doesn't get recognized. If I disable onboard it gives me a eth0 can't be found and no up address. I must be missing something.

no need to disable onboard nic.which version of unraid ?

(latest version need to disable VT-d in your bios to not blacklist some broadcom NICs, more informations here : https://forums.unraid.net/topic/124108-unraid-os-version-6102-available/).

did you plugged the dongle on a usb3.1 port ?

Edited by doobyns
18 minutes ago, doobyns said:

no need to disable onboard nic.which version of unraid ?

(latest version need to disable VT-d in your bios to not blacklist some broadcom NICs, more informations here : https://forums.unraid.net/topic/124108-unraid-os-version-6102-available/).

did you plugged the dongle on a usb3.1 port ?

Plugged into a 3.0 port I think as it is an older motherboard, but that shouldn't cause an issue at this stage right? It might slow down the connection from 2.5g

I have VT-d disabled for now though as this is a realtek based ethernet it should be fine to have it enabled right?

I am on 6.10.2 

I'll reenable my onboard and get some diag if it would help. The lights on the adapter come on but when I go into interface eth0 it doesn't have a mac address. The device shows up with lsusb and for ifconfig I only have br0 and lo no eth0.

And thanks for the reply!

Could this be because of the r8169 driver? I just found another post where they mention:

if you are use 2.5g realtek NIC
the unraid 6.10 system is only using r8169 driver
it is a terrible driver for 2.5g NIC
normally we block this driver in 6.9.2,it is good.it can let the server using R8125 to run the full 2500mbps
but when upgrade to 6.10,the system keep the settings.so you will find your server shows 'device eth* does not exist',you can't access your unraid through web gui
the solution is easy.just deleted the blacklist file in your modprobe.d file

But I don't know what the modprobe.d file is, so that is a bit beyond me. I see in the syslogs that it seems to load that driver that this user is saying is an issue.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have played with a 10g & a few 2.5g cards from amazon they all work natively. The 2.5g ones are using the realtek 8125 chip, the b revision is better. Some of the intel cards had a problem with there first revisions & are now on revision 3.

Anyway I think the basic idea is they can all freeze up if they get too hot so maybe chuck a little extra fan in or check their is actually thermal pad underneath the heatsink as sometimes they put a heatsink on but nothing to transfer the heat from the chip to the heatsink.

£25 - 2.5Gb - Realtek 8125b

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B1B4TKNY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

£36 - dual 2.5Gb - Realtek 8125

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07XJ8CMQX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

£99 - 10Gb Ethernet - AQUANTIA AQTION AQC107 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B4X3ZHJQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by dopeytree