[SOLVED] 6.9.0rc2 New install does not boot. pcieport can't change powerstate

Hey all,

I just put together a server for use with Unraid.

I installed unraid 6.9.0rc2 in uefi mode, with bios configured for uefi.

The reason i chose this version is for the nvidia driver for hw transcode in plex container.

It recognizes the usb, and boots unraid, until it hard locks during boot. The last line on screen is:

pcieport 0000:05:05.0: can't change power state from D3cold to D0 (config space inaccessible)

Attached image of screen.

After this nothing happens. 

I have tried enabling and disabling pcie power saving feature, and switching from uefi to legacy (and re creating the usb for legacy install)

Is there any way for me to enable logging?
i think it might be a misconfigured bios, so i will try to reset to defaults after posting this, and will update if anything changes.

Specs:

mobo: AsRock z97 Extreme 6 (no wifi)     asrock website: https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97 Extreme6/#Support

cpu: i7 4790k

ram: 32GB hyperx memory

gpu: zotac 1060 3gb                               only gonna be used for hw transcode for plex / handbrake

ssd: Kingston 500gb for cache drive

hdd: 4x seagate 4tb drives

usb: sandisk 16gb usb 3.0 drive

bd-drive: asus bw-16d1ht

psu: corsair rm750x

gpu is in topmost pcie slot.

I initially had the monitor connected to the gpu, but i also tried connecting directly to the mobo igpu (also enabling igpu in bios and setting it to primary)

cpu, ram and mobo is leftovers from an upgrade to my main rig.

Additional info, i used the gpu in another test install on an old asus mobo with an fx8350 cpu. I had no boot issues there, and the nvidia driver also worked fine.

Thank you for any input!

Spirevipp

UPDATE!

I disconnected the bluray writer, and now the server boots.
Do you know if this bluray writer model is incompatible somehow? link to asus website: https://www.asus.com/us/Optical-Drives-Storage/BW16D1HT/

The drive is connected to the SATA3_A1_A2 sata ports, page 8 (14) in user manual.
This is a shared port with the m.2 slot. Could this be the problem? I will try to set it to force sata to see if that helps.

Update 2:

I tried to force sata mode, and also swap to the SATA3_A3_A4 port, but still the same.

But when i connected to another sata port used by a disk drive SATA5 then it worked.

From my testing it seems to be some sort of conflict between the asmedia sata controller and the unraid kernel, any debugging or more testing for this is out of my technical skill level.

Last test im doing is connecting a drive to the asmedia sata ports to see if its just the bd drive or all sata devices.
From testing, it seems like the disk is recognized. I used the ssd.

This might be an incompatibility between asus bd writer and the asmedia sata controller, not related to unraid at all.

For now i will just connect them this way.

If anyone want to follow up on this, please reply.
I will be testing and playing around with this server in the coming week, and will be able to assist if anyone wants to fix this issue.

IMG_20201225_230503.jpg

Edited by Spirevipp
Marked as solved