[SOLVED] An upgrade from 6.7.2 to 6.8.3

flambot

Greetings,

How is everyone? Hope you're having good times.

My server is currently running 6.7.2. I went to update the few plugins that I have (CA, cache_directories) and it would appear I can no longer do this from the GUI. It would seem that I need to be running 6.8.3. Is this the latest stable release? (This is what I've got ( "unRAIDServer-6.8.3-x86_64.zip")

I have a very old server. I am wary of changing anything because I'm not in the position to build a new one. I worry about upgrading because of this and the fact my resources on the server aren't high. Do I need to keep upgrading?? It would seem I do because all the plugins change.

I guess I should upgrade to 6.8.3. How is this done through the GUI (I've never done it through the GUI before). There doesn't appear to be anyway in the "Update OS" tab - or will it only show when the array is offline??

I saw this in a post "https://s3.amazonaws.com/dnld.lime-technology.com/stable/unRAIDServer.plg" to use the install plugin area. Will that work?

I saw this "If you are running any 6.4 or later release, click 'Check for Updates' on the Tools/Update OS page." - but there is no button for this (perhaps need to stop the array?)

Many thanks

Edited by flambot
7 hours ago, flambot said:

I guess I should upgrade to 6.8.3. How is this done through the GUI (I've never done it through the GUI before). There doesn't appear to be anyway in the "Update OS" tab - or will it only show when the array is offline??

Tools Tab

7 hours ago, flambot said:

I saw this in a post "https://s3.amazonaws.com/dnld.lime-technology.com/stable/unRAIDServer.plg" to use the install plugin area. Will that work?

Yes if the above doesn't work.

Tried for an upgrade this morning and it failed. There is NO button in the Tools>OS page (that shows as a button) I have to assume the Update OS Text at top left is it. I got a message as below. I am now suspicious that the server does not have connection to the internet. We have just changed our ISP - which meant a new router/modem. The new modem/router is registering the server (and I can login into it through the GUI), but there is NO IP address in the modem interface after the name of the server - but there is after the name of every other computer on the network.

My server has a static IP, which I left unchanged, but I had to change the gateway. I am suspicious that the static IP is NOT in the correct IP range for the new modem/router (which uses a slightly different range ".178" VS ".1").

I have just found a panel in the new modem/router interface where you can add a new device with a static IP. One thing I find a little confusing is the new modem/router has both an IPv4 and a IPv6 setting for each device. Chewing my nails 🤔

Any comments before I do this.

waterfox_2BS2t1RXh9.thumb.png.e866a1f2597ae924f5eb3ec7542f4d11.png

waterfox_gLQV0sMI8z.png.25183ae9527f47a9ed24b0c5ea5119b5.png

Finally got it sorted out.

@Constructor - you are correct. That would be the easy way, but I putty into the server and knowing the IP is a critical part. I found out the same thing had happened to our HTPC (also a static IP and running linux - so putty again) and couldn't connect at all. I tried everything. In the end I connected back to the old router and bingo - away we went. The new router has a different IP range, than the old one as I suspected. I even tried to re-route the old one to the new one but it wouldn't work. Tech is sometimes way too complicated - unless your a genius!

Doesn't help that I'm an old-fogy with a brain and memory that isn't as sharp has it once was. While I write everything down, it's still a major effort to sort it all out again.

Once I had the IP's all sorted out, the server was connected again to the internet - so I could upgrade via the gui. First time for me.

Only thing that could be an issue - I have only a 512mb USB, so the old version takes up quite a lot of space. I'll see how the new version goes, then I'll backup and then delete the previous version off the USB drive. Hopefully this won't be an issue.

Appreciate the comments. Thanks

• JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] An upgrade from 6.7.2 to 6.8.3

@trurl - sorry about that. I just realised I grabbed the wrong name from your post. Apologies.

3 hours ago, trurl said:

@Advanced Member

I always reserve IPs by MAC address in the router. That way everything is managed in one place and I always know what the IPs are.

I think I've done that myself (in fact, the router does it's setup using MAC address. My old router wasn't this flash in the interface. Both have been supplied by the ISP - meaning cheap😉

37 minutes ago, flambot said:

@trurl - sorry about that. I just realised I grabbed the wrong name from your post. Apologies.

You're certainly not the first. But a little more advice on using the forum. In order to actually notify someone when you type @ followed by their username, you have to actually select from the matching choices. Just typing @flambot doesn't get it done.

You have to do @flambot