Drives not spinning down

AdrianF

Having an issue with drives not spinning down and staying that way.  I've set the drives to spin down on each drive plus the universal disk setting. 

I'm assuming I'll need to get some logs to figure this out. What will I need to do in order to make that happen so I can get this resolved? 

Thanks everyone. 

7 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Make sure you try after booting in safe mode with all dockers disable to rule out any plugin/docker interference, it sill issues please post the diagnostics: Tools -> Diagnostics

Thanks @JorgeB.  Have rebooted in safe mode with GUI.  3h5m and no spin up so far. Usually (at least) one drive would've spun up by now. I didn't disable Dockers, however, so this points me in the direction of a plugin. 

• Like 1
On 12/27/2020 at 4:35 AM, JorgeB said:

Make sure you try after booting in safe mode with all dockers disable to rule out any plugin/docker interference, it sill issues please post the diagnostics: Tools -> Diagnostics

2 1/2 days later and the drives are spinning down in safe mode the way they should. I’ll have to reboot and then run diagnostics and post them.  Definitely a plug-in that’s messing things up. 

Here's an update.  I rebooted in standard GUI mode and woke up with Drive 3 (of 4) plus Partity being spun-up.  

I'm attaching a copy of my diagnostics as suggested; hoping somebody can figure out what Plugin is behaving badly.  For the record, these are the Plugins running:

* CA Auto Update Applications

* Community Applications

* Dynamix Auto Fan Control

* Dynamix SSD TRIM

* Dynamix System Information

* Dynamix System Statistics

* Dynamix System Temperature

* Fix Common Problems

* Preclear Disks

* Statistics

* Unassigned Devices

* Unassigned Devices Plus

Thanks everyone.  And wishing you and yours all the best for 2021.

blackbox-diagnostics-20201230-1030.zip

4 minutes ago, Squid said:

Have you ruled out Plex doing a scan of the media?

Dec 29 17:55:10 BlackBox kernel: mdcmd (34): set md_write_method 1

You've got turbo mode enabled.  Any write to any drive will result in them all spinning up.

Should turbo write be disabled then?  I've just double checked Plex and _NOTHING_ is being scanned:
image.png.8c6a0637c0e12fa7395290efe230fb6f.png
Just trying to get this resolved as I'm going to be adding in another drive (need to preclear it first).

Thanks everyone.

25 minutes ago, AdrianF said:

Just removed Dynamix Auto Fan Control in case. 

If that doesn't solve it (and you're comfortable enough not to break things) you can try these wrappers to smartctl and hdparm to identify what's calling them. Again this only applies to the RCs, if you're running 6.8.3 o betas I don't think it was an issue.

• Thanks 1
On 12/31/2020 at 11:59 AM, CS01-HS said:

If that doesn't solve it (and you're comfortable enough not to break things) you can try these wrappers to smartctl and hdparm to identify what's calling them. Again this only applies to the RCs, if you're running 6.8.3 o betas I don't think it was an issue.

So, drives are remaining spun down that are already down.  Still having an issues with drives not spinning down in 6.9.0 RC2 (where they're up).  I've got the drives and the disk settings at 1 hour for spin down but it's not happening.  Any ideas?  Or do I want to try the above?

blackbox-diagnostics-20210101-1333.zip

3 hours ago, CS01-HS said:

That's consistent with what I'm seeing - the calls don't wake drives just prevent spindown. Try disabling telegraf and autofan if you haven't already. That's the only fix at the moment.

Where is telegraf?  Autofan is long removed.  Hoping RC3 fixes this mess. 

Edited by AdrianF
Autocorrect "telegram"

It's a reporting tool. If you're not running the telegraf docker or a docker that incorporates it (like "GUS") then you probably don't have it. So you'll need to identify what's making the calls, guess and check or the wrappers.  Easiest to wait for RC3 I think. The extra hours on your drives will be a negligible percent of total lifetime.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...
On 1/2/2021 at 1:57 PM, AdrianF said:

Thanks for the 411. Worst case, I can just manually spin them down. Obviously it's a plug in of some sort that's the problem as when I had Unraid booted in safe mode, everything functioned as expected. Here's hoping RC3 isn't too far off. 

I think I read someone somewhere saying that the SMART test was keeping the drives awake by resetting the spin down timer.  If you use 1 hour spin down delay try changing the Tunable (poll_attributes) setting to something above the hour (or above the spin down delay you have set).  I have mine set to 1 hour spin down and 7200 for the tunable setting.

Once I adjusted this all my drives spin back down now.  All except for 1 helium filled drive.  It won't even spin down if I manually try to.  Not sure if its because of the drive type or what?

On 12/30/2020 at 5:07 PM, Squid said:

Have you ruled out Plex doing a scan of the media?

Dec 29 17:55:10 BlackBox kernel: mdcmd (34): set md_write_method 1

You've got turbo mode enabled.  Any write to any drive will result in them all spinning up.

Maybe this is the solution for me. Thanks!

edit: it was the solution. turbo write spins all disks up, even if they are not used at all for the write.

Edited by Knutowskie
  • 3 weeks later...

I am having the  same issue after upgrading from 6.8.2 to 6.9.2. Tried every mean i could find on goolge but all in vain. Don't know why. Have reverted to 6.8.2 where the disks are now working perfectly even though i have UUD running. Somewhere tells this bug has been fixed already in 6.9.1, but don't know why i am still troubled by it in 6.9.2.

23 minutes ago, francishe said:

I am having the  same issue after upgrading from 6.8.2 to 6.9.2. Tried every mean i could find on goolge but all in vain. Don't know why. Have reverted to 6.8.2 where the disks are now working perfectly even though i have UUD running. Somewhere tells this bug has been fixed already in 6.9.1, but don't know why i am still troubled by it in 6.9.2.

You should be fine with 6.9.1 but there is an issue in 6.9.2 There is a bug report for it. Doesn't affect every one. for me just affects my Parity.