Looking for a new motherboard

Hi !

At the moment I am using a SuperMicro X11SSM-F Motherboard with an Intelo Xeon E3-1230 V6.

The board is performing find but I am missing PCI connectors... Really want to add a video card an I have maxed out the ways I can do this, therefor I am looking for an ATX board instead of a Micro-atx board (really never should have gone for this in the past.. Enough room in the case..

My CPU is still fine as is my memory (ECC) so I do not want to change those, I also like to stick with SuperMicro since the brand has served me well for many many years.

Although, if I get gready.. I could change the CPU to a Core i9 9900K ... Which would be allmost 100% improvement in performance..

I see the following options, price wise they are also pretty similar. Anybody had any negative or positive experiences with any of these ?

X11SCA, Intel C246, Intel I210AT/Intel I219LM

Intel X11SAE, Intel C235, Intel I219LM/Intel I210AT

X11SAE-F, Intel C236, Intel I219LM/Intel I210AT

X11SCA-W, Intel  C246, Intel, Intel I210AT/Intel I219LM

X11SCA-F, Intel C246, Intel I210AT/Intel I219LM

The -W variant has bluetooth and wireless onboard which I will not use and therefor I think better to not have... The less in there, the less that can create issues..

Main difference I then see is the chipset for Network they are all the same, only primary and secundary sometimes the other way around.

For the system chipset the choice appears to be between C236 and C246.. 

I do not see any negative comments on the C246 with a quick search, there are some with the C236

That brings down the choices to:

X11SCA, Intel C246, Intel I210AT/Intel I219LM

or

X11SCA-F, Intel C246, Intel I210AT/Intel I219LM

Only difference I see is that the X11SCA-F has a VGA port which I like to have for some reason (old geezer I guess)..

Therefor the X11SCA-F would be my choice.

According to the excellent thread by  I will be loosing my PCI x4 slot when using an m2 drive but that is no issue I think..

@Tybio Do you think this board will work for me or would you advise something else ?

Edited by Helmonder
i9 9900k will not support ECC memory (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/i9-processors/i9-9900k.html)
none of the core processors will accept ECC except some of the i3 8th and 9th generations and, of course, the Xeons.

I am looking at i9-9900K as well and hoping ECC is not really needed. It should make a decent UNRAID/Plex transcoder/VM Machine.

Xeon E-2288G is the Xeon equivalent of the i9 9900K if you need ECC support. I run it in my server.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Xeon E-2288G is the Xeon equivalent of the i9 9900K if you need ECC support. I run it in my server.

Looks like it is roughly $800 (Ouch!) The i9-9900k is currently $329 at Microcenter and the I9-9700k (8 core no HT) is only $229 at Microcenter. So the big question is if ECC support is worth the premium in an UNRAID build.

Looks like it is roughly $800 (Ouch!) The i9-9900k is currently $329 at Microcenter and the I9-9700k (8 core no HT) is only $229 at Microcenter. So the big question is if ECC support is worth the premium in an UNRAID build.

Interesting. I paid about $500 earlier this year for the E-2288G and the E-2278G was about $450 for basically the same thing and 300 MHz less on the CPU.

Must be because they are in short supply having been replaced by the 1200 series Xeons.

The CPU is actually not something that is on the map... At least for now..

The reason I am going for the other motherboard is because it is bigger and adds some more ports, this will give me some free room to add a graphics card.. I have a GV-N710D5SL-2GL lying around that can be added in..

I basically have not need for any upgrade as my server has never given me troubles, I want to play around with the MacOS VM and that really needs a GPU..