SMB - Windows 10 Enterprise

Hey guys!

I have two devices with Win 10 Enterprise and I want to connect to a private share.. Doesn't work! I enabled unsecure guest login in gpedit but still doesn't work (but I think this is not even needed, cause I use user and password for the share)..

Is it that hard to maintain Windows 10 compatiblity? I think many users are using Windows and SMB Shares is an essential Unraid feature in my oppinion..

Can anyone help? Using FTP while SMB not working for me..

Best Regards

You did not give us much information.  (What error messages are you getting?  What release of Windows--- 1909, 2004, 20h2?)

You do have to understand that most of the problems are not on the SMB/Unraid end of the equation but on the Windows end.  And you said the problem is with a couple of Windows 10 Enterprise computers.  So you could have an issue with some 'security feature' MS has implemented into the Enterprise version or some policy that your company's IT manager has added to their PC's.   (A lot of corporations will have policies to prevent their computers from accessing any unauthorized networks!)

You can also start by reading a portion of a thread from a couple of years ago.  Read starting from this post forward for a few pages...

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/25064-user-share-problem/?tab=comments#comment-228392

PS---  Most of the problems with access that folks have addressed have been for Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 PRO.  There are not an lot of folks who have much experience with the Enterprise version. 

@Frank1940

You can't access this shared folder because your organization's security policies block unauthenticated guest access. These policies help protect your PC from unsafe or malicious devices on the network.

Don't know what it has to do with unauthenticated guest access as I want to connect to a password protected share.. Also I added the login into credential manager and set gpedit policy for unauthenticated guest access.. Also I added "min protocol = SMB2" in Unraid Settings SMB Extras.. Don't know what to do else..

Edit:

I read a ton of discussion about similar or slightly different problems e.g.

https://www.reddit.com/r/unRAID/comments/dc82n3/windows_10_smb_shares/

Isn't Unraid capable to provide a compatible share? Even activated SMB1 in the meantime, doesn't help..

Oh, and I'm using 20H2..

Edit - Solution:

Activating unsecure guest access from gpedit has no effect (with 20H2 at least), you have to change the value in regedit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters
AllowInsecureGuestAuth REG_DWORD 0x1

Damn, nothing else needed to get it working!

Edited by glockmane
21 minutes ago, glockmane said:

Don't know what it has to do with unauthenticated guest access as I want to connect to a password protected share..

If you read carefully, you will find that you are only allowed one user from each computer.  So if your first access from a client computer to any SMB server (Linux or Windows based) must be a user for the secured/private share on that server.  (Secure shares are a mixed bag sometimes as it 'mixes' both public and private features together.  You must make sure that your first access to that share uses a 'Secure' user account and not a guest user account...)

Why don't you setup a public share and see what happens to that.  That will narrow down many of the problems that your 'fixes' are attempting to fix.  If you can access a Public share then the issue is getting the proper login connection to the server. 

@Frank1940

Public Share didn't work either!

See my post above I edited with the solution.. Also the VM I tried to connect from was freshly setup and the share was always private.. Or do you mean I have to add a Windows user which has the same name and password like the Unraid User which has access to the share?

57 minutes ago, glockmane said:

Activating unsecure guest access from gpedit has no effect (with 20H2 at least), you have to change the value in regedit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters
AllowInsecureGuestAuth REG_DWORD 0x1

Damn, nothing else needed to get it working!

You are not the first one who has had to  solve this using Regedit!   See here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/89452-windows-issues-with-unraid/page/8/?tab=comments#comment-878167

What I am not real sure is which direction these two parameters (   AllowInsecureGuestAuth   and Enable insecure guest logons ) actually apply-- inbound, outboard, or both.   I suspect that one controls inbound and the other one controls outbound.

24 minutes ago, glockmane said:

Or do you mean I have to add a Windows user which has the same name and password like the Unraid User which has access to the share?

Maybe.   Read what LimeTech and the other posters wrote back in 2015 about users.  (Disclosure, I do NOT use either Secure or Private shares...)  The whole thing is confusing (with a lot of gotcha's) and you really have to read it very, very carefully.  Remember that SMB is a Microsoft product and it controls the spec.  SAMBA is the Linux implementation of SMB.  It seems that 90% of the changes to SMB in the past few years have been on the Client end of the equation.  And usually to tighten security.  (That is why those folks who actually use Enterprise tend to roll updates out very slowly.  (It would not surprise me to find out that most of them are still on 1909.)  They don't want to update 10,000 clients and then hit the problem that you found...

I believe that you can also use the Windows Credential Manager to handle the login onto the Unraid server.  You might want to investigate that approach.