[Solved] Change LUKS passphrase problem

Hi there :)

I'm actually on 6.8.0 and decided to upgrade to 6.8.3 during my vacations.

So I read several posts on the forum to teach me how to and identified the sensitive point : My passphrase need to be changed since it contain some unsupported characters.

I've launched the terminal with the cmd found on one post :

root@Tower:~# lsblk | grep "crypt" | sed -r 's/[^[:alnum:]]*([[:alnum:]]*) .*/\1/'
sdd1
sde1
sdj1
md1
md2
md3

And wanted to begin the process of changing, but there is the problem :

root@Tower:~# cryptsetup luksAddKey /dev/sdd1
Enter any existing passphrase: 
No key available with this passphrase.

What i've done is just copy/past the actual passphrase that work perfectly every time, so that's not a passphrase problem :/

Do someone have an idea, please ?

Thank you :)

Edited by AinzOolGown
Solved

Hi, nope, you're the first one to reply this thread, sorry :/

It isn't really an array passphrase problem in my case, i can log on WebGUI and start array just fine.

The thing i cannot is to change the array passphrase, i read some posts that explain how to do this by passing a cmd on every device composing the array, but not a single one of this devices recognize the passphrase, even when i can start the array with it, it's just strange, i surely miss something :/.

That said, is it a new install ? Is it your first one ?
The password entered on boot is for "opening/accessing" the unraid system, your array passphrase maybe different (it should, in fact), that's the case for me :)

Edited by AinzOolGown
10 hours ago, cesman said:

No, it isn't a new install. I've been running unRaid for years. What is new, is converting all my drives in the array to encrypted XFS. It was running fine for several weeks then after a reboot to check a noisy fan, it failed to start.

So, you don't rebooted your server after the encyrption and continued to use it, that's the first time you rebooted and now you cannot mount your array, is that it ?

So, if you have encrypted your array, you surely set a passphrase / passkey for this encryption.

I think that's what you need :)

4 hours ago, cesman said:

To clarify, are you asking Ainz or myself?

I tried, it give me :

== unraid-newenckey v0.6, made for Unraid, change encrypted volumes' unlock key. @doron ==

Enter current key: ***************************************
*** Testing provided key against disks... disk1 (/dev/md1)  disk2 (/dev/md2)  disk3 (/dev/md3)   (/dev/sdi1)   (/dev/sdh1)  cache (/dev/sdj1)  disk4 (/dev/md4) ... done.

Error: Key provided as current does not open any of the encrypted devices.

Now exiting.

Before you ask, yes i'm sure its the right passphrase, i copy it from the same source i use to start the array via WebGUI and i tested the clipboard content before using it to be sure it copied right :/

Edited by AinzOolGown
3 hours ago, AinzOolGown said:

Before you ask, yes i'm sure its the right passphrase, i copy it from the same source i use to start the array via WebGUI and i tested the clipboard content before using it to be sure it copied right :/

I'm not asking that, I'm sure you did.

I presume your current situation is that you CAN start the array when typing the passphrase at the GUI, but can not change it using cryptsetup and / or my script. Is my understanding correct?

Can you tell me what types of characters are in your passphrase? Not asking to share the phrase obviously, just the type of characters it is comprised of:

- Does it have non Alphanumeric characters?

- Does it have non-ASCII characters (i.e. from a code page different than Latin)? If so can you give an example of such a character? (again do not reveal your real phrase, just the nature of the characters in it)

EDIT: Can you PM me a passphrase that is LIKE yours in terms of character set? Again, not even close to your real one, just something that I can test with, and that is structured similarly to the passphrase you're having an issue with.

Edited by doron
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, doron said:

I'm not asking that, I'm sure you did.

I presume your current situation is that you CAN start the array when typing the passphrase at the GUI, but can not change it using cryptsetup and / or my script. Is my understanding correct?

Haha, thanks ^^;

It is correct, tested multiple method to change it but not one worked :/

Will PM an exemple shortly, thank you :)

16 hours ago, AinzOolGown said:

So, you don't rebooted your server after the encyrption and continued to use it, that's the first time you rebooted and now you cannot mount your array, is that it ?

So, if you have encrypted your array, you surely set a passphrase / passkey for this encryption.

I think that's what you need :)

The server has been rebooted several times since I setup encryption. Yes, I setup a passphrase for the encryption.

13 hours ago, cesman said:

The server has been rebooted several times since I setup encryption. Yes, I setup a passphrase for the encryption.

I was thinking, did you update unraid recently ?

In my case, i'm on 6.8.0, and i know newer version have changed the way they handle passphrase with certains characters restrictions.

I once tried to upgrade to 6.8.2 and my passphrase was not recognized anymore, so i had to downgrade to 6.8.0 for it to work again :)

• 2 months later...
  • AinzOolGown changed the title to [Solved] Change LUKS passphrase problem