Access Unraid and Docker Apps outside Network


Recommended Posts

Hello, How can I access the Unraid (Version: 6.8.3) and Docker Apps such as Plex, Sonarr, Radarr etc. outside my Local Network (LAN)?

 

Given that, My ISP doesn't support Port-Forwarding because of the CG-NAT.

 

I do have a VPN which does allow the Port-Forwarded VPN Access though. So if I could somehow use the VPN Provider to access the UnRaid outside of my Local Network?

 

They have both OpenVPN and Wireguard as the option. (OpenVPN is preferable).

 

Thanks.

Link to comment
55 minutes ago, learningunraid said:

Given that, My ISP doesn't support Port-Forwarding because of the CG-NAT.

Then your only option is to use something like Zerotier, which doesn't require port forwarding. There is a zerotier docker in apps. Or you can use a machine/VM that is always on then use something like teamviewer to remote in to it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, learningunraid said:

I do have a VPN which does allow the Port-Forwarded VPN Access though. So if I could somehow use the VPN Provider to access the UnRaid outside of my Local Network?

 

They have both OpenVPN and Wireguard as the option. (OpenVPN is preferable).

As @strike mentioned ZeroTier is another option.  I actually have OpenVPN-AS, WireGuard and ZeroTier all configured on my server and all three work for remote access.

 

I prefer WireGuard as it is built into unRAID, however, it does require port forwarding.  OpenVPN is my backup and I occasionally still use ZeroTier as well.

 

If you have an existing VPN that allows you to specify access to the local network on which unRAID resides, you should be able to access the GUI by local IP address through the VPN.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/29/2020 at 1:12 AM, Hoopster said:

I prefer WireGuard as it is built into unRAID, however, it does require port forwarding.  OpenVPN is my backup and I occasionally still use ZeroTier as well.

Thanks. OpenVPN also requires Port-Forwarding?

On 12/29/2020 at 1:12 AM, Hoopster said:

If you have an existing VPN that allows you to specify access to the local network on which unRAID resides, you should be able to access the GUI by local IP address through the VPN.

I didn't get this statement? Please if you could tell me, What did you mean by VPN here? I have TorGuard, PrivateVPN.

Thanks for the answers.

On 12/28/2020 at 11:34 PM, strike said:

Then your only option is to use something like Zerotier, which doesn't require port forwarding. There is a zerotier docker in apps. Or you can use a machine/VM that is always on then use something like teamviewer to remote in to it.

I have installed zerotier to test, but then I realized, I will be forced to install zerotier in each and every system, right? I still cannot access the unRaid on public systems.

Hmm, Is there any way I could use Public AWS Server to create a tunnel between my unraid server so that, I access my unraid server using the AWS IP?

Thanks for the answers.

Edited by learningunraid
Link to comment
10 hours ago, learningunraid said:

Hmm, Is there any way I could use Public AWS Server to create a tunnel between my unraid server so that, I access my unraid server using the AWS IP?

Here's what I did in my own system (also behind CGNAT). Spun up a Mikrotik CHR (virtual router) on Linode (but any other VPS with completely unblocked ports is also fine). Made a site-to-site VPN between my home networks (3 different houses) and the VPS. then port forwarded port 80 + 443 to an nginx container (kinda like SWAG - but I prefer to roll my own). This could be done with a Linux VPS, but I wanted to play with a Mikrotik router (all of my edge routers are Mikrotiks) and have less issues with the rather performant IPSec site-to-site vpn

 

This means I can access my Emby server + Transmission container over HTTPS from anywhere. (Added DNS entries at the house with the Unraid server to avoid having to go out and back)

 

Edited by ken-ji
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2021 at 6:33 AM, ken-ji said:

Here's what I did in my own system (also behind CGNAT). Spun up a Mikrotik CHR (virtual router) on Linode (but any other VPS with completely unblocked ports is also fine). Made a site-to-site VPN between my home networks (3 different houses) and the VPS. then port forwarded port 80 + 443 to an nginx container (kinda like SWAG - but I prefer to roll my own). This could be done with a Linux VPS, but I wanted to play with a Mikrotik router (all of my edge routers are Mikrotiks) and have less issues with the rather performant IPSec site-to-site vpn

 

This means I can access my Emby server + Transmission container over HTTPS from anywhere. (Added DNS entries at the house with the Unraid server to avoid having to go out and back)

 

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Hmm, Is there any way if you have laid down the steps somewhere or if there is any guide regarding this, that I could follow and achieve it?

Thanks.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.