Too much?

reapa

I have looked at the "Recommended systems" and judging what that is. This Build is way over spec. But I see lots of people with better gear even that this?

Any cost saving ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($272.00 @ JW Computers) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z490 Extreme4 ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($269.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($116.60 @ Newegg Australia) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($75.00 @ Amazon Australia) 
Storage: Seagate IronWolf NAS 4 TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($155.00 @ Centre Com) 
Case: Silverstone CS380 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($239.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Power Supply: be quiet! System Power 9 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply 
Total: $1126.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-29 16:52 AEDT+1100

Edited by reapa
14 hours ago, Decto said:

Hi and welcome.

Before anyone can help you need to post your requirements.

Is this a simple NAS, media server, will it host VM's, if so what will these be for?

What apps, dockers do you plan to run.

How much storage do you plan to attach?

Mainly NAS and 4k movies , I don't really know too much about VM's, dockers such as qbittorrent, pi hole etc. 

Thanks for your help. 

Seems like a case for a simple NAS with streaming.

You can save some cash with an I3 - 10100 which is a 4c8t part, this will be plenty for NAS / streaming and the built in GPU does a good job of transcoding in Plex or other media streaming apps. if you want to transcode 4k so you can stream to non 4k devices the you need either the Intel iGPU or an add in GPU as it can be very hard on the cores.  This chip will easily run a good number of dockers for gathering and streaming media and even a light weight VM or two if you need it. More cores would be for heavy VM usage, e.g. running gaming servers, or if you were using this as both a NAS and as your main desktop (via a VM).

For motherboard, a B460 is a more budget choice with plenty of expansion, the main thing you lose is the option to split the main x16 PCI-E into a pair of X8 PCI-E for expansion.

Look for a board with at least a x16 and x4 PCI-E slot, a couple of extra x1 are useful as well but don't get too carried away with premium boards unless you will use the 2.5Gb Network etc.  Each x1 PCI-E can support 2 extra spinning drives at native speed while the x4 will give 8 extra drives.

If you can get a deal on a B365 and similar CPU then that's a good option too. There is little difference other than Intel offered a little more of the money in the 10 series and added a 10 core part so discounted last gen would be fine.

The areas you may want to spend a little extra are PSU and drives.

That PSU has power plugs for around 8 drives and splitting power cables isn't recommended an extra one per string is OK, more than that can cause power issues. If you plan significantly more than 8 drives in the future then I'd recommend a PSU with more SATA power strings, or molex that can adapted to SATA.

For drives, depending on how much storage you need, fewer larger drives are recommended.

e.g 3x 8GB is prefered to 5x 4GB.

You do waste a little more capacity using a larger drive as partity, however the expensive part of the whole system is usually the number of physical drives as each needs power, cooling, a slot in your case and a SATA port. So if you run out of capacity to add drives you may need a better PSU, a bigger case, , a more complex SATA add in card etc. or even a motherboard with more expansion slots.  The cost of the extra 'wasted' space on the parity drive can soon become trivial in comparision.  Also each drive is a potential point of failure.  

Good luck

as someone who has an Unraid NAS with an i3 10100 i can say its plenty fast for the job and does everything i need without any issues.

One very important little detail i just learned is if you want to use NVME SSD´s as a cache i strongly advise you to get an HBA to attach your normal drives to.

On all current Intel platforms the NVME slots go through the chipset to the CPU and the chipset is only attached with a PCI-E 3.0 4x link si thats a HUGE bottleneck.

Attaching all my drives to an HBA doubled my transfer speeds from the NVM cache to the array.

7 hours ago, Decto said:

Seems like a case for a simple NAS with streaming.

You can save some cash with an I3 - 10100 which is a 4c8t part, this will be plenty for NAS / streaming and the built in GPU does a good job of transcoding in Plex or other media streaming apps. if you want to transcode 4k so you can stream to non 4k devices the you need either the Intel iGPU or an add in GPU as it can be very hard on the cores.  This chip will easily run a good number of dockers for gathering and streaming media and even a light weight VM or two if you need it. More cores would be for heavy VM usage, e.g. running gaming servers, or if you were using this as both a NAS and as your main desktop (via a VM).

For motherboard, a B460 is a more budget choice with plenty of expansion, the main thing you lose is the option to split the main x16 PCI-E into a pair of X8 PCI-E for expansion.

Look for a board with at least a x16 and x4 PCI-E slot, a couple of extra x1 are useful as well but don't get too carried away with premium boards unless you will use the 2.5Gb Network etc.  Each x1 PCI-E can support 2 extra spinning drives at native speed while the x4 will give 8 extra drives.

If you can get a deal on a B365 and similar CPU then that's a good option too. There is little difference other than Intel offered a little more of the money in the 10 series and added a 10 core part so discounted last gen would be fine.

The areas you may want to spend a little extra are PSU and drives.

That PSU has power plugs for around 8 drives and splitting power cables isn't recommended an extra one per string is OK, more than that can cause power issues. If you plan significantly more than 8 drives in the future then I'd recommend a PSU with more SATA power strings, or molex that can adapted to SATA.

For drives, depending on how much storage you need, fewer larger drives are recommended.

e.g 3x 8GB is prefered to 5x 4GB.

You do waste a little more capacity using a larger drive as partity, however the expensive part of the whole system is usually the number of physical drives as each needs power, cooling, a slot in your case and a SATA port. So if you run out of capacity to add drives you may need a better PSU, a bigger case, , a more complex SATA add in card etc. or even a motherboard with more expansion slots.  The cost of the extra 'wasted' space on the parity drive can soon become trivial in comparision.  Also each drive is a potential point of failure.  

Good luck

Awsome as, thanks very much for your insight. Cheers. :)

6 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

as someone who has an Unraid NAS with an i3 10100 i can say its plenty fast for the job and does everything i need without any issues.

One very important little detail i just learned is if you want to use NVME SSD´s as a cache i strongly advise you to get an HBA to attach your normal drives to.

On all current Intel platforms the NVME slots go through the chipset to the CPU and the chipset is only attached with a PCI-E 3.0 4x link si thats a HUGE bottleneck.

Attaching all my drives to an HBA doubled my transfer speeds from the NVM cache to the array.

Cheers, I have just changed it to a Samsung evo 970 nvme :)

13 hours ago, reapa said:

Cheers, I have just changed it to a Samsung evo 970 nvme :)

another few things to consider, you are buying a pretty expensive case that is basically a normal case you could have much cheaper ones than this, same for the motherboard.

If you are fine with an expensive case but want something more compact consider the Silverstone 381.

Its a good case but pretty expensive given that you probably also wanna swap out the fans.

Heres my build, i already had all the drives so it doesnt show a price for them.

The DS3H motherboard is one of the few that has two full m.2 4x slots and only disables one of the 6 SATA ports if you use it.

But keep in mind both 4x slots go through the same 4x link from the chipset to the CPU so you will never get full performance from both at the same time.

The cheaper motherboard saves a ton of cost and since the  10100 is hard limited to 2666mhz RAM you can also save a ton there.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-10100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($114.99 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler  ($39.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte H470M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard 
Memory: Kingston 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 CL13 Memory  ($95.83 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Black NVMe 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For €0.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Black NVMe 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For €0.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For €0.00) 
Storage: Seagate IronWolf NAS 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For €0.00) 
Storage: Seagate IronWolf NAS 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For €0.00) 
Case: Silverstone CS381B MicroATX Desktop Case  (€291.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply  ($124.88 @ Newegg) 
Wired Network Adapter: Asus XG-C100C PCIe x4 10 Gbit/s Network Adapter  ($92.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $468.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-31 03:18 EST-0500

Overall the build is pretty nice but if i would do this again i would probably choose a different much cheaper case and live with the fact that its not compact by any means as with the 381 HDD cooling is rather limited and it has a TON of screws which is nice for its solid build quality but sucks for the initial setup as you will undo like 40 screws initially but since that is a 1 time effort its not really a big deal.

Edited by Pixel5
  • 2 years later...
On 12/30/2020 at 4:41 AM, Pixel5 said:

how many containers are you running? im planning on plex, the arrs and a vpn and have a i3 10105 already.