Disable External Power Button

Hi Everyone,

I've done some searching already on this topic and can't find a solution that works for me, so I'm hoping I'm missing something really easy.

I need to disable the 'off' command when the power button is pressed on my machine. I have a cat that likes to sleep on it and despite placing a cover etc... he still manages to turn the bloody thing off! lol

I can't just unplug the button from the motherboard as I still want the ability to 'turn it on' the reason why is I have the Navi 10 reset problem and use a script to reset the card, which places my machine in standby mode.

I'm hoping there is a really easy way I can just change the button's behaviour in linux - so that it does nothing when pressed if already on.

I'm using the release candidate 6.9 of Unraid and my motherboard is a X570 Aurus Xtreme (may help).

Thanks,
Steve

14 hours ago, pearce1340 said:

I have a cat that likes to sleep on it and despite placing a cover etc... he still manages to turn the bloody thing off! lol

You could always upgrade to a dog :)

One solution is to rename the script that handles ACPI events, e.g.:

mv /etc/acpi/acpi_handler.sh /etc/acpi/acpi_old.sh

This would need to be done after every boot, with the go file or with a user script, also note that a long button press will still do a hard shutdown, as that's not software controlled.

P.S. pretty sure that ACPI script won't be missed by anything else but not 100% sure.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
On 12/31/2020 at 8:08 AM, JorgeB said:

You could always upgrade to a dog :)

One solution is to rename the script that handles ACPI events, e.g.:

mv /etc/acpi/acpi_handler.sh /etc/acpi/acpi_old.sh

This would need to be done after every boot, with the go file or with a user script, also note that a long button press will still do a hard shutdown, as that's not software controlled.

P.S. pretty sure that ACPI script won't be missed by anything else but not 100% sure.

This is amazing, its exactly what I needed. Before you ask, not the dog... the move command lol.

I've stuck it in a user script to run when the array first starts - which should do the trick!

Little b&%$%d occasionally hits the reset button with a claw as well... so I'll disable that

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...