explorer.exe crashes and restart in windows vm when copy/paste

Rimrom

Hi,

I stumbled against a very common issue (as I realised when looking it up) with my windows 10 virtual machine.  When I am in the Win10 vm, I try to copy and paste a file onto the desktop.  As soon as I hit the paste cmd (either ctrl+v or the right-click box menu), there seems to be a loading (mouse displays a loading).  After 1 or 2 seconds, the explorer.exe crashes and reload instantly and no file has been copied.  I tried to copy/paste from a share over the network accessed from my vm to the desktop, from the vm c:\users\Download to the desktop.  It keeps crashing-reloading every time.  This is not related to the size of the file because I tried various file sizes.

Now I know, this is a common problem unrelated to unRaid.  It is a very known windows issue, and there are tons and tons of different ways to fix the issue that has worked for tons and tons of people, and every time that someone manage to fix it, they had to try 100 things that did not work for them before.

I personally never experienced this problem before, until I install windows 10 as an unRaid vm, hence the following question;

Is there anyone who might have experienced this problem with an unraid windows vm?  Because I assume that maybe, just maybe, because the way the vm might be installed under the unraid system, it could drastically narrow down the causes of this issue?  Maybe something I did not look at or details I am simply not aware of that needs to be checked?  Only networking is my strong suit so.. in other words I am a newbie at this.

This is a screenshot of my vm configuration and I will also put the Logs of my vm when running.

please help, I have been looking up for days, all over the place, but the range of things to take into account is simply too wide.

Thank you

LOGS:

-chardev socket,id=charmonitor,fd=33,server,nowait \
-mon chardev=charmonitor,id=monitor,mode=control \
-rtc base=localtime \
-no-hpet \
-no-shutdown \
-boot strict=on \
-device ich9-usb-ehci1,id=usb,bus=pci.0,addr=0x7.0x7 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci1,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=0,bus=pci.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x7 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci2,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=2,bus=pci.0,addr=0x7.0x1 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci3,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=4,bus=pci.0,addr=0x7.0x2 \
-device virtio-serial-pci,id=virtio-serial0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3 \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/user/domains/Wimdows 10/vdisk1.img","node-name":"libvirt-3-storage","cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-3-format","read-only":false,"cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-3-storage"}' \
-device virtio-blk-pci,scsi=off,bus=pci.0,addr=0x5,drive=libvirt-3-format,id=virtio-disk2,bootindex=1,write-cache=on \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/user/isos/Windows 10 v1809 RS5 3in1 Fr x64 (9 Janv. 2019).iso","node-name":"libvirt-2-storage","auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-2-format","read-only":true,"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-2-storage"}' \
-device ide-cd,bus=ide.0,unit=0,drive=libvirt-2-format,id=ide0-0-0,bootindex=2 \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/user/isos/virtio-win-0.1.173-2.iso","node-name":"libvirt-1-storage","auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-1-format","read-only":true,"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-1-storage"}' \
-device ide-cd,bus=ide.0,unit=1,drive=libvirt-1-format,id=ide0-0-1 \
-netdev tap,fd=35,id=hostnet0,vhost=on,vhostfd=36 \
-device virtio-net-pci,netdev=hostnet0,id=net0,mac=52:54:00:0d:88:67,bus=pci.0,addr=0x4 \
-chardev pty,id=charserial0 \
-device isa-serial,chardev=charserial0,id=serial0 \
-chardev socket,id=charchannel0,fd=37,server,nowait \
-device virtserialport,bus=virtio-serial0.0,nr=1,chardev=charchannel0,id=channel0,name=org.qemu.guest_agent.0 \
-device usb-tablet,id=input0,bus=usb.0,port=2 \
-vnc 0.0.0.0:0,websocket=5700 \
-k en-us \
-device qxl-vga,id=video0,ram_size=67108864,vram_size=67108864,vram64_size_mb=0,vgamem_mb=16,max_outputs=1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x2 \
-device ich9-intel-hda,id=sound0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x8 \
-device hda-duplex,id=sound0-codec0,bus=sound0.0,cad=0 \
-device usb-host,hostbus=1,hostaddr=49,id=hostdev0,bus=usb.0,port=1 \
-device usb-host,hostbus=1,hostaddr=4,id=hostdev1,bus=usb.0,port=3 \
-device virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x6 \
-sandbox on,obsolete=deny,elevateprivileges=deny,spawn=deny,resourcecontrol=deny \
-msg timestamp=on
2020-12-30 02:56:10.965+0000: Domain id=3 is tainted: high-privileges
2020-12-30 02:56:10.965+0000: Domain id=3 is tainted: host-cpu
char device redirected to /dev/pts/0 (label charserial0)

Screenshot from 2020-12-30 14-37-39.png

• 6 months later...

Ever been able to solve this issue? I have exactly the same. Can't copy from my VM to UNRAID without explorer crashing. Although it depends.

I can copy just fine from my local Admin account (Password UNRAID = Password Windows). But I can't copy from my personal "online" account (Same PC, Same VM, just different log in), which has been setup with a PIN access.

My PIN is something like "e7f56Ukh" which would correspond to the users password in UNRAID as the online account password is >16char random.

Haven't solved it yet, but i think it has to be somewhere in this direction...

edit* It even crashes Qdir portable

Edited by UNRAID_Hydra

Jeez, was I wrong. I had installed TeraCopy in my Admin account. I shows a popup when you copy or move stuff to choose Explorer or TC to handle the file transfer. It did not show this popup in my personal account. And transferring files directly with TC did work...

Installing TC again in my personal account fixed the issue.

Edited by UNRAID_Hydra