Reputable LSI sellers in China/HK

I'm looking to upgrade a couple of my 8-port controllers (Dell H200's) with 16 port controllers, to free up some PCIe slots.

9201-16i's seem to be the recommendation - but from Australia the only place I can find to buy them from is China/HK - but I've seen advice to avoid these as they can be knock-offs.

Does anyone have any recent experience with a seller in CN/HK they can share? (Or know another place to look for from AU?)

14 hours ago, extrobe said:

I'm looking to upgrade a couple of my 8-port controllers (Dell H200's) with 16 port controllers, to free up some PCIe slots.

Before recommending a seller, I'd like to make sure we are seeking the best solution. Based on your system specs (mobo/cpu), you actually have 5 PCIe g3 x8 slots -- OR only 3 slots if one (or two) need to supply x16 lanes (each).

If it is the latter case (you need to "free up" an x16 slot, then I'd suggest considering a SAS(/SATA) expander, which can use one of the soon-to-be x0 slots (expanders only use a PCIe slot for power (no signals/lanes) and a place to live).

If it's the former case (you want to repurpose an x8 slot now used by an H200, then, yes, probably a 16 (or more) port HBA is the answer. Instead of a 9201-16i though, I'd go for an Adaptec ASR-71605 (or -72405). Less $$, it's faster PCIe Gen3 (vs Gen2 for 9201) and 4500+ MB/s (vs ~3000 MB/s), and it's low-profile (repurposing flexibility in future). Only negative is that its mini-SAS ports are 8643 (vs 8087 on H200/9201), so new breakout cables are needed.

Does anyone have any recent experience with a seller in CN/HK they can share?

I recently bought a SAS expander to play with, and despite going for low cost, was pleasantly surprised. I bought a Lenovo 03X3834 on eBay for $15 shipped from CN/HK. Ordered on 23Nov, and it arrived (NH,USA) on 06Dec. Very well-packaged (anti-static + bubble-wrap + box) Works fine! The link for the seller's eBay store is JiaWen2108 

sells lots of HBA, expanders, cables.

Thanks, I’ll check that option out!

yes, it’s really so I can repurpose one of the slots (or maybe 2 by also using the onboard Sata) - I recently moved things around to add a gpu, so things are a little cramped now with one of the hba cards pretty much rubbing against the gpu which can’t be good for either, especially as these cards get pretty toasty!