PreClear killed disk?!

fired

Hi,

I have my unraid server up for 14 days now and added the 2nd disc (Both WD Red Plus 4tb), which should act as my Parity drive. Before including the 2nd Disc to the array i performed a prelcear. Pre-Read running fine up to 40%, then a dd error occured which then leading to a bunch of further errors at approx 4:30 am (see attached log). Next morning when I looked onto my Unraid Server, the disk do not show up as an unnassing device, neither within the preclear plugin. I then attached the disk to my  Windows System - Didn't show up in BIOS, but in the Windows Disc Manager (diskmgmt.msc). However, i could no re-initialize the disc there.

It is possible that the Pre-Read killed the HDD?

Could it be an issue with the MB or its ATA controllers? System is a ASRock J3455-ITX.

Any suggestion if there is a chance to recover the HDD?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Alex

preclear.disk.txt

Since all pre-clear does is read and write to the disk, if it caused it to fail then it was almost certainly going to fail shortly anyway.

it might be worth seeing if you can get any SMART information from the disk, and if you can whether it can pass the extended SMART test.   Either of those failing means the disk will need replacing.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, fired said:

Unfortunatelly, i cannot access any smart data, as the device to not show up in any tool except the Windows Disc Manager. Anything he tells me is that an E/A error occures while trying to initialize the disc. Doesn't sound promising :/

Does not sound hopeful then :(

the only good thing is that it is better to discover a disk is going to be a problem before you get around to adding it to the array.    If it fails after adding it to the array you are then looking at having to carry out a disk rebuild and potentially data recovery actions.   That is the main reason people now run pre-clear - to carry out an initial stress test of a drive to give confidence in its reliability.