Issues with displayed runtime left on UPS

thingie2

I've got an APC Back-UPS XS 1400U UPS that I have had running for a few years now. over the last few months I've had very low runtimes available (used to be ~90 mins reported, now is <10 mins), so I decided the batteries are probably dead & need replacing. I have replaced the batteries & the reported runtime left has not changed.

I have run an automatic calibration (with the new batteries) using the apctest command, the % remaining reported by that seemed to approximately match the time displayed (circa 10 mins)

I have run a manual calibration (disconnected APC from the server (both PWR & comms) & connected a stable load (total of about 130-150W (normal load is 60-90W)) and ran the UPS until it turned itself off. Although I didn't time it, I would say it ran for 40 mins+.

From this, I feel the UPS itself is lasting correctly with the new batteries, but it's being reported incorrectly in unraid. Is there anything I can do to rectify the reading in unraid, so I can set the shutdown parameters correctly?

I had similar issues when I changed my battery a few months back.

If I remember correctly, it was not enough to just change the battery and run a new test from on my main PC. I also had to update the battery date or something similar on the APC software, then run the test and every thing was fine.

Interestingly, I've just updated the battery date & it's not showing an updated runtime of ~50 mins with a 12% load. Looks like that's sorted it.

Seems a little strange that's needed, but I guess it makes sense that the UPS knows a battery won't get any better as it ages, so it doesn't improve the runtime unless it sees it as a new battery.

• Like 1