New Build old USB Drive to Small

toms_jeep

I am upgrading my Unraid server...   Long story but it all started because my old USB 512Mb drive is to small to upgrade Unraid to the latest release.  Everything is running fine just old hardware that would not work with any of the 2Gb USB drives I tried but the one above.

With the new build I plan playing around with Plex some.

My question is about the following USB drives that I have all new.  They are all USB 2.0 drives, I am using an internal USB cable so physical size don't matter.

Which would you pick to use?

Sandisk Cruzer Slide 8Gb

Sandisk Cruzer Blade 4Gb

Sandisk Cruzer Fit 8Gb (very small drive)

PNY Attache 8Gb

PNY Attache 32Gb

Current System

MB - Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H

CPU - Athlon 5600+ (dual core)

Memory 4Gb

New Parts for build

MB - Gigabyte B365M-DS3H

CPU - i5-9600K

Memory - 16Gb

I will be reusing my current case, PS and drives which I replaced a month ago.

PS - Seasonic Focus+ gold 550w

Case - Define R4

Drives WD Red plus

Edited by toms_jeep

I think the minimum recommended USB is 4 GB, but 8 or 16 GB are easier to find and super cheap.

Stay away from 3 drives bundles, we saw someone a few months back with the three drives having the same GUID (Sandisk bought from Amazon, not a 3rd party seller).

I do like my SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16GB, but I did not try any other so ... :D 

SpaceInvaderOne did a video about this :

On 1/2/2021 at 4:04 AM, ChatNoir said:

As for the rest of the system, if you only plan for plex (no VMs, game servers, etc), a 9600K might be a bit overkill, unless you already have the parts.

I wanted a little over kill so if I want to add something in a year or so I don't have to upgrade anything.  Plus yes I got my parts yesterday.

I did watch that video and have a question, I have read a lot of posts on the Unraid forums and it seems like they all say to stay away from USB 3.1 drives and stick with 2.0.  The top three he chose as winners were all USB 3.1.