[Support] Paperless-ng Docker

Really like the Paperless-ng setup, could be very powerful when properly integrated into my workflow.

One thing I would really like is to enable it to process the common Office file format and other commonly used file formats like RTF.

The documentation mentions the TIKA and GOTENBERG dockers to process these files.

Have been trying to set this up but unfortunately my IT skills seem to fall short here ...

Has anybody else got this up and running?

For anyone using this be sure to choose the correct Redis container in the CA store. I was having issues with paperless not connecting to my redis container (even though i set the ip correctly in paperless) and found out the redis i was using was not working. The one that ended up working for me was the one by jj9987

9 hours ago, SkinnySkelly said:

For anyone using this be sure to choose the correct Redis container in the CA store. I was having issues with paperless not connecting to my redis container (even though i set the ip correctly in paperless) and found out the redis i was using was not working. The one that ended up working for me was the one by jj9987

And what container did not work? I use sameersbn/redis and it works fine as far as I can tell.

Paperless-ng stops working after a while...

So added a lot of documents to Paperless-ng via the dashboard upload and also via my email where I set it up to scan for all document for the last year.

All worked fine until Paperless-ng just stopped doing anything. I can still drag&drop files to the dashboard where it says "upload complete, waiting..." for all those files. CPU is also idling on the Paperless-ng container and all other related container (redis, tika and gotenberg). The Paperless-ng tmp folder (which I remapped to the appdata folder because it so big) is full with temp folders and files but nothing is happening.

Restarted all the containers to see if that would work but it didn't.

The paperless-ng log files also don't show any activity since yesterday, even though I forced it to perform the scheduled tasks "now".

So really don't know what to do now... Any suggestions?

Is there any way to force Paperless-ng back to life? Except a clean reinstall?

So after more than 24hrs of no activity Paperless-ng resumed the processing of documents. It still occasionally seems frozen with 0% CPU activity for shorter periods while the queue is filled with thousand of documents.

Edited by CvT

Hi,

I just got Paperless set up and I can't upload any documents through the Web UI. The upload just times out and I get a "Connection Reset" in the browser console and "HTTP Error 0" on the upload progress bar. In the container logs I see:

[2021-04-13 22:43:22,109] [WARNING] [django.request] Method Not Allowed: /api/documents/post_document/

Any ideas of what to adjust?

7 hours ago, mattie112 said:

Are you connecting directly through the port of paperless or a reverse proxy? I'm not sure but perhaps check the settings could be that it is disabled for your account (but I'm no expert so I'm not sure if that exists).

I’m connecting directly. The only change I have from a default setup is that the container is running on a VLAN but I don’t see how that should affect anything? 

Edited by Adam1
20 minutes ago, mattie112 said:

A vlan should have no effect, a reverse proxy might do something with uploads.

You also never see the "Upload completed"?

image.png.2bf633918929ef75cd9ef30ee9d3cf18.png

Correct, the progress bar never moves and the upload fails. I’m not using a reverse proxy on this container.

Hm sorry I don't have a clue perhaps someone else. I assume the container has already been restarted? You can confirm if the directory is writeable for the uploaded files (although the message looks like it already stops before that but I don't know the source). Or perhaps check the paperless github to submit a bug report there.

I've tried different Redis images (just in case) but still have the same problem; That is, everything works fine initially, then when I come back to it the following day it no longer works. Paperless correctly detects a new file in the watch folder and the log shows it has added it to the task queue, but nothing else happens unless I restart the paperless-ng container. I do not need to restart the redis container to get it working again, just the paperless-ng one.

Has anyone found a solution for this? TIA

The supporting documentation states the following and I am wondering if others in the community have been able to get this amazing software to work with MS Office documents:

"Paperless can make use of Tika and Gotenberg for parsing and converting “Office” documents (such as “.doc”, “.xlsx” and “.odt”)"

Edited by Bookingyo

Error 500 when upoading via the WebUI

EDIT:
The Error was because i was using the wrong Redis Docker. With jj9987's Repository it worked.

Hello i always get a 500 internal server error when trying to upload a fiIe.
I installed and started a Redis docker(bitnami/redis:latest) changend the [IP] in PAPERLESS_REDIS: with the IP from the server. And the Logs are the following when trying to upload a File.
Log from the Paperless Docker:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/asgiref/current_thread_executor.py", line 22, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/asgiref/sync.py", line 462, in thread_handler
return func(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/views/decorators/csrf.py", line 54, in wrapped_view
return view_func(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/views/generic/base.py", line 70, in view
return self.dispatch(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/rest_framework/views.py", line 509, in dispatch
response = self.handle_exception(exc)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/rest_framework/views.py", line 469, in handle_exception
self.raise_uncaught_exception(exc)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/rest_framework/views.py", line 480, in raise_uncaught_exception
raise exc
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/rest_framework/views.py", line 506, in dispatch
response = handler(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/src/paperless/src/documents/views.py", line 495, in post
task_name=os.path.basename(doc_name)[:100])
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django_q/tasks.py", line 73, in async_task
enqueue_id = broker.enqueue(pack)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django_q/brokers/redis_broker.py", line 18, in enqueue
return self.connection.rpush(self.list_key, task)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/redis/client.py", line 2016, in rpush
return self.execute_command('RPUSH', name, *values)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/redis/client.py", line 901, in execute_command
return self.parse_response(conn, command_name, **options)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/redis/client.py", line 915, in parse_response
response = connection.read_response()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/redis/connection.py", line 739, in read_response
response = self._parser.read_response()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/redis/connection.py", line 484, in read_response
raise response
redis.exceptions.AuthenticationError: Authentication required.

Edited by Tokomino

Hi

I Need help with Paperless. I have scannt for testing few Documents. Its works fine. Then i want to simulate a Software crash  from Paperless to see what i do in worth case.

i installed it new. But he didnt find the documents after reinstall. I set it the same directory like before.

How i can import the database? Sorry i am from Germany . My english is not so good.

Generic paperless-ng question: 

I currently have a large number of PDFs that I'm just storing in folders.  Example:

\Autos

\Autos\Car1

\Autos\Car2

\Finance

\Finance\Bank1

\Finance\Bank2

\Taxes

\Taxes\2020

\Taxes\2019

Many of the PDFs are OCR already but some are not.  I'm looking for a way to ingest all of my PDF/documents and make them all easier to search and retain some sort of structure as above.  Windows search is pathetically slow or cumbersome to search PDFs and since I don't know if all of them are OCR, it can easily miss.

Would paperless-ng be a good solution to handle this?  Would I create correspondents for each of my "folders" and/or "subfolder names"?  How much training will I have to do?  And can I just manually drag them to these identifiers?  For instance, I normally need to grab all of documents related to a tax year.  I don't want to have to go fishing for the documents.

Trying to figure out a good workflow before going headlong into a new document management process.  

Also, it appears that if I drag PDFs into paperless-ng, that it creates a whole new PDF from the original, thus almost doubling the size of my library.    Should I just turn off archiving?  Will I still be able to search the PDFs?  or should I (can I) have paperless-ng OCR the file and overwrite the original if it did not contain OCR text already?

Looking for guidance.  Cheers.

Just starting out with Paperless-ng in home/non-commercial environment.  Running on a Multi-core dual processor along with lots of memory.  So resource constraints is not an issue.

I've gone through the initial setup and able to access the Web UI for the paperless-ng.  Now, before I start adding documents I would like to make sure that I have the optimal setup.  Following are some of my questions:

• For home use, is it better to stay with the default SQLLite database or should I consider Postgres?
  • For a family of four, what's the ideal setup in terms of user setup?  Spouse and I would like to have a common documents and consume directory while the kids should have their own. 
  • I'm going through the documentation which is excellent!  However, reading through it does take time.  Wondering if there's a Video that shows a typical usecase/scenario of setting up multi-user/group environment along with setting up document tags, types, etc.

Many thanks.

Hey there,

I'm a bit desprate here with my paperless installation here.

I run it on Unraid and here is what I did so far, but always ending up in internal Server Error 500 while trying to upload a file as well as my consumefolder is still untouched so far:

Installed docker container of paperless ng

installed redis by jj9987 wit the correct port

changed OCR to deu, changed secret key, changed port to 8001 (8000 is already in use)

added a paperless.conf file in swag with following content

server {
    listen 443 ssl;
    listen [::]:443 ssl;

server_name mordorpaper.*;

include /config/nginx/ssl.conf;

client_max_body_size 100M;

# enable for ldap auth, fill in ldap details in ldap.conf
    #include /config/nginx/ldap.conf;

# enable for Authelia
    #include /config/nginx/authelia-server.conf;

#Organizr ServerAuth
    #include /config/nginx/proxy-confs/organizr-auth.subfolder.conf;
    #auth_request /auth-0;

location / {
        # enable the next two lines for http auth
        #auth_basic "Restricted";
        #auth_basic_user_file /config/nginx/.htpasswd;

# enable the next two lines for ldap auth
        #auth_request /auth;
        #error_page 401 =200 /ldaplogin;

# enable for Authelia
        #include /config/nginx/authelia-location.conf;

include /config/nginx/proxy.conf;
        resolver 127.0.0.11 valid=30s;
        set $upstream_app UnRaid _IP;
        set $upstream_port 8001;
        set $upstream_proto http;
        proxy_pass $upstream_proto://$upstream_app:$upstream_port;

}

}

restarted all of the dockers

Where am I missing the obvoius?

Thanks

4 minutes ago, prl3st said:

Hey there,

I'm a bit desprate here with my paperless installation here.

I run it on Unraid and here is what I did so far, but always ending up in internal Server Error 500 while trying to upload a file as well as my consumefolder is still untouched so far:

Installed docker container of paperless ng

installed redis by jj9987 wit the correct port

changed OCR to deu, changed secret key, changed port to 8001 (8000 is already in use)

added a paperless.conf file in swag with following content

restarted all of the dockers

Where am I missing the obvoius?

Thanks

What if you access paperless directly and not through a reverse proxy. Does it work then? If so the issue is not with paperless.

And about the consume: is there anything in the logs?

On 5/13/2021 at 10:23 PM, mattie112 said:

What if you access paperless directly and not through a reverse proxy. Does it work then? If so the issue is not with paperless.

And about the consume: is there anything in the logs?

Yes the obvoius... the logs (sorry new to unraid always forget there are logs)

So Problem was that I defined the redis IP in the paperless docker to look upon the very same docker... so my mistake.

Thank you for the hint!

Anybody got a good recommendation for a free document scanner under android to get good resultst with paperless?