Unraid crashes/freezes while copying Data

I even tried renaming it to .zip and Windows wouldn't open it natively but I could open it with 7z. Not heard of anyone else having this problem and I have opened many Diagnostics zip files that were created on Macs.

The Diagnostics download you get from the webUI is a single .zip file and there is no need to do anything but take it just as it is and attach it. Some people have their browser set to automatically open zip files and they seem completely unaware that a zip file was downloaded and proceed to create a new zip with the contents of that zip, or worse yet, to post each file in the diagnostics as a separate attachment.

I get these crashes when, and I've posted this before here, I copy large amounts of data through the onboard Sata Controller. It will crash then, presumably of the fact that 1 drive will link out, given that when I boot the system only 2 of 3 show up. and Yes, all of the drives are healthy and good. HBA should arrive today, I'm gonna keep you posted on this one

3 hours ago, deltaexray said:

Guess I´ll have to buy another one.

I dont know what the costings look like but if size isnt an issue (looks like a pretty normal type mobo) maybe check ebay or options for a newer 2nd hand board? 

Also do the drives show up in the BIOS at all with the new card? or is it the same issue that one drive isnt showing but the others are? The card or drive configuration should load on the boot showing all the drives before unraid kicks in,

My guess is that the cable was a reverse one, not a forward one. The card shows up fine, but the cable connected no drives showed up. So ordered a new cable, send back the one I ordered and we will see. 

Buying a *new* mobo doesn't really make sense, given that the socket is that old and only eBay would be possible. and before I pay 80-90 for that mobo, I'd rather pay that money for an HBA and have more ports anyway

Edited by deltaexray

So, long update: 

Drives work with the HBA and the new cable, even better then before which makes sense given that internally it was Sata 3G, the HBA is Sata 6G. 

But there's another "thing", that's why I asked if anyone has had issues with MTU and Network Transfers, given that the Systems still crashes. Big time. 
When I built the systems, I set the MTU value in the Network Settings Tab to 9000, as I usually do based on my knowledge, higher is better and least on one hand. So, after I put in the HBA rebooted the system and started the 200GB again. After 65%, it crashed. But this time the Networking Timeout Error/Networking Address not reachable anymore, gave me some, kind of, thoughts of why it is like this. So to put a long story very short: The MTU value on the Server side, is the reason it keeps crashing. 
If I set the value to the, standard, 1500, it works with everything I copy onto it. If I set it to 9000 or 9198, the letter is the maximum of Unraid, it crashes at multiple points during the transfer. 

So know coms the question part: Is the MTU Value singly responsible for the constant crashes or, is it, still a drive issue given that it only crashes when the MTU is set to 9000, in terms of 4K sectors on the Ironwolfs? 
And yes, I could just set the value to 1500 and forget about it but I want to find out, what is the real issue. Not just a 5 day fix to something that keeps popping up all the time. 

At this point, I'm just really out of ideas so yeah If you have any ideas, I'd be really happy to hear them. 

• 2 years later...