I need help trying to find a cheap quiet server

mhweb

I'm trying to build a backup server, but I would like to go with a used business server like those 1 or 2U server you can find on ebay. However, since these servers are meant for data centers, they're loud, and I'll have it in my office, because I don't have the space. So, my question is, if anyone has been able to modify these servers to be quiet? and if so, how did you do it (specially the power supply)? or any suggestions on a cheap server with multiple hdd bays that is silent?

Thanks,

Edit: The server have to fit in a standard server rack.

Edited by mhweb

I know this is not really answering your question,  Those units are engineered to run 24/7 under full load in ideal conditions.  By modifying them with either quieted fans, smaller power supply's, and generally messing about them with is inviting disaster with your data.  You will shorten the life of your investment. 

Also, no one can recommend anything unless we know your office server minimum requirements...

As for a cheap server, look for an old QNAP device, and load Unraid on it.  I did that with my QNAP 670pro.