XFS Encryption Pros & Cons

binar

Fellow Forum Members,

It took a bunch of hours but my new UnRaid Array completed the Parity sync process successfully. Following that was a hard drive initialization and format process. Now I need some advice. I am thinking it may be wise I XFS encrypt the entire UnRaid Array. Does this mean I have to redo the Parity sync process all over again or only the hard drive initialization and format process? 

Other encryption related questions I have are as follow:

1. What are the CONS in using XFS encryption?
  2. What are the PROS in using XFS encryption?
  3. Does XFS encryption also encrypt all filenames and folder names stored in the UnRaid Array?
  4. Am I running a higher risk of corrupting my data by using XFS encryption compared to not using it at all?
  5. I learned  there is a KEY I need to use which prevents the UnRaid Array to AutoStart. What is the fix to this Key problem?

Any opinions welcomed.

Edited by binar

Parity is updated any time you format a disk in the parity array. Since format doesn't write much data it doesn't take long including parity update. To change the filesystem to encrypted you must reformat. I personally don't use encryption because I don't feel I need the extra complication.

When the array starts, you'll have to enter your passphrase before the array starts.  While are various ways around this, I wouldn't call it a "problem". Having said that, I ran into a problem today where my array won't start even with the correct passphrase. Based on searching, others have ran into this issue as well but I'm so far unable to find a solution.