My first NAS ever

Johnster

Hello everyone,

This is my first NAS and i decided to go with unraid after a lot of reading.

My budget would be around 550$ for components (except HDD's - i'm going to buy 4x4TB).

This is what i have come up with until now:

Case: Node 304

MB: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz box

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16 Dual Channel Kit

SSD ADATA Swordfish 250GB PCI Express 3.0 x4 M.2 2280 (i need to do some more reading on this. I read that it's good to have a SDD for cache pool, but i can't fully understand what that means).

PSU: Seasonic 500W, Core Series, 80 PLUS Gold

I would like to know if this is enough for:

rutorrent with  ~1,5k torrents.

deluge with ~500 torrents.

1 plex stream (maybe 2, rarely) on a 4k tv. I'm mostly playing 1080p files.

some occasional backups.

Also, do i need a GPU? I see this CPU has 7000 pasmark points. Someone here stated i would need 17000 for a 4k transcode, but as I understand it, if I play a 4k file on a 4k tv, that's a direct-play. Does that 17000 requirement still apply if I want to upscale a 1080p file on my 4k TV?

Thank you!

I started with a 2200G and B450 w/32 gigs, my server is mostly for Plex and my library 480, 720 and 1080.  The cpu would peg at 100% during most movies going through the local network to the TV.  I have no idea what a 4K movie would do to it.  I upgraded to a 6 core R5 1600AF which is just barely slower than a R5 2600 and it rarely moves above 25% utilization.  I do not have a gpu for transcoding, yet and so far I don't need it.  I will upgrade to R5 3600 or R7 3700 next, depending on price and availability.

The 2200G is pretty weak cpu, first gen Ryzen with half of the die taken up with gpu.  Having already been down this road, I would suggest a better cpu if you can find one at a decent price.