Docker container size explanation (SOLVED)

Hello there!

Happy new year 😃.

I'm here because I have some questions about the panel "Container size" shown by the docker dashboard.

I'm at 76% of my docker image and I'm debugging to find which container takes unnecessary space and how I can optimize it or create my own image with a lighter distribution (e.g alpine instead of arch for binhex's images).

But when opening the panel, I'm a little bit confused about the column "Writable". I can't find any information about it in the wiki.

What does Writable means in this context? And is it linked to the overall container size (e.g binhex-krusader 1.92GB = 1.8844GB‬ + 35.6MB) ?

Also, when it comes to logs, I'm starting to move all container's logs to a special share to monitor them with grafana, loki and promtail. Is the displayed log size about the docker logs coming from the container, or logs from inside the container?

Same question as before, is it linked to the overall container size :).

Thanks ✌️

image.png.03a8cf8be52ae9dc495309c14d6e9a80.png

Edited by DataHearth
problem solved
2 hours ago, DataHearth said:

What does Writable means in this context?

Writable is the data the app has written into the image, that isn't part of the app itself.  

IE: On D/L apps where it's misconfigured and the downloads are going into the image, that column will tend to be rather large

5 hours ago, Squid said:

Writable is the data the app has written into the image, that isn't part of the app itself.

Ohh now I understand ! Pretty cool feature.

5 hours ago, Squid said:

IE: On D/L apps where it's misconfigured and the downloads are going into the image, that column will tend to be rather large

Welp, that'll help debugging my containers. 

Thanks mate ✌️.

@Squid Is there a wiki page for this ? Didn't see anything about this panel. This could be a useful information to find in the docker container section.

• DataHearth changed the title to Docker container size explanation (SOLVED)
  • 1 year later...