Avahi mdns aliases

Hey guys,

Before moving to unraid I had an ubuntu server installation for NAS. The only thing I miss from my old setup is the aliases I had configured for avahi. I still have the script I had build for the aliases which was utilising systemd to start bind to network events.

I would really love to put that back in action.

In practice, this is the service I had created for systemd in ubuntu server

[Unit]
Description=Publish %I as alias for %H.local via mdns
Wants=network-online.target
After=network-online.target
BindsTo=sys-subsystem-net-devices-enp5s0.device
Requires=avahi-daemon.service

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/bin/bash -c "/usr/bin/avahi-publish -a -R %I $(avahi-resolve -4 -n inas.local | cut -f 2)"

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

To use the service it was as simple as creating and starting a parameterised service

systemctl enable [email protected]
systemctl start [email protected]

I know unraid is using avahi but I am not familiar with the folder structure and how to make the changes also permanent (some startup scripts that copy files I presume?)

So, where are the files I would need to touch? Also, given unraid is not using systemd, I presume I will need to write an equivalent init.d script or there's some way with unraid?

Looking forward to info to get this started. Once ready I will share off course whatever scripts will come out of it so anyone can easily reuse them.

Cheers.

First tests - just manually running avahi-publish, reveal I forgot one important component. I need to also proxy the unraid web interface. This means I will need to move it to a different port and put it also behind nginx proxy. Is it feasible to change the unraid web interface port or everything will break?

Almost got it working (was easier than expected).

Here's what I have so far - for however might be interested in going down that path

Step-1: Change the default ports for the unraid user interface

Go to http://inas.local:8008/Settings/ManagementAccess and change http and https ports. I set them to 8008 and 8443. Just remember to check your ports are not already used by some docker container, etc.

Step-2: Install Nginx Proxy Manager (docker from user-apps) - or build your own container. I had my own configs ready from the past server but Nginx proxy manager works just as well and as an added bonus you get a comfortable web-gui with it.

Step-3: Configure your subdomains (depends on how you went with step-2)

Step-4: Install user-scripts plugin (can put them in /boot/config/go but better skip the pain. Click to create a new script and add the avahi commands in there. For each subdomain add the following command

/usr/bin/avahi-publish -a -R subdomain.domain.tld unraid-ip &

##
## In my case, for my unrain registered with inas.local
## To add jackett.inas.local
## Instead of the IP I used avahi-resolve to actually aquire the IP for the inas.local domain
## This way if the unraid IP changes you do not need to change IPs in the script.

/usr/bin/avahi-publish -a -R jackett.inas.local $(avahi-resolve -4 -n inas.local | cut -f 2) &

This is how my final script looks like

#!/bin/bash
#description=Generate avahi aliases
#foregroundOnly=true
#name=Avahi aliases (sub-domains)

echo "sonarr.inas.local"
/usr/bin/avahi-publish -a -R sonarr.inas.local $(avahi-resolve -4 -n inas.local | cut -f 2) &

echo "plex.inas.local"
/usr/bin/avahi-publish -a -R plex.inas.local $(avahi-resolve -4 -n inas.local | cut -f 2) &

echo "proxy.inas.local"
/usr/bin/avahi-publish -a -R proxy.inas.local $(avahi-resolve -4 -n inas.local | cut -f 2) &

echo "sonarr.inas.local"
/usr/bin/avahi-publish -a -R sonarr.inas.local $(avahi-resolve -4 -n inas.local | cut -f 2) &

echo jackett.inas.local
/usr/bin/avahi-publish -a -R jackett.inas.local $(avahi-resolve -4 -n inas.local | cut -f 2) &

Next steps (help wanted and appreciated)

1. Utilise the args in user-scripts (can we have variable number of variables?) and adjust the script to use them accordingly.

2. Wrap the avahi-publish in a script to monitor for network changes and react accordingly (interface went up, restart avahi-publish, etc).

I acknowledge my documentation is insufficient to help people with little knowledge on the subject so feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.

• 2 years later...

Hi sdfyjert,

I have been playing around with this and its a good script, I am using 90% of this idea and implementation and its working really well so far; thank you.

There does appear to be a slight issue though as the script as its shown above does not work; at least for me.

Specifically $(avahi-resolve -4 -n inas.local | cut -f 2) does not resolve ("avahi-resolve: not found") when running on the unraid server either in the script or via the terminal. If however I run this on another machine on my network it does work. still looking into why this is. I love this idea of not having to manually specifying the same IP each time but something stuffing it up on my rig.

And yes I do change the inas.local to my own server name; like I said the command works on other machines just not locally on unraid.

Does this script still work on your unraid?   I am running 6.12.4.

Edited by NerfyGeko