Best practices for VMs on Cache

Hello everyone,

I'm starting to use more and more Docker and VMs on Unraid, so I'm wondering about adding SSDs to my Unraid.

What's the best way to do it?

1/ Add an SSD as a cache and put the VMs in it. Is it possible to copy them every night on the array afterwards, leaving the data on the SSD? (does the mover delete the data after moving it)?

2/ Add two SSDs to a cache (1 used, 1 for security) and put the VMs only on it without copying them on the array ?

3/ Add an SSD as an unassigned device and clone it regularly on the array for protection ?

Bonus/ Do cached disks count within the 12 disk limit? Since I already have 2 party disks and 8 data disks.

Thanks to all of you!

15 hours ago, Keichi said:

1/ Add an SSD as a cache and put the VMs in it. Is it possible to copy them every night on the array afterwards, leaving the data on the SSD? (does the mover delete the data after moving it)?

I would use the SSD as a cache drive, and have the VMs run off that.  Is it possible to back them up--- yes. You can have the mover do it or you could do it yourself, but if your VM becomes corrupted in some aspect, that corruption is backed up as well ... so there may not be any point in backing up your VMs...

You don't say what your current setup is to begin with so this would also give you the ability of using the SSD for your normal appdata cache too.

2/ Add two SSDs to a cache (1 used, 1 for security) and put the VMs only on it without copying them on the array ?

You can use a cache pool to have mirrored cache disks in the event that the SSD physically fails if you wanted to.

3/ Add an SSD as an unassigned device and clone it regularly on the array for protection ?

Not worth the trouble to do it that way..

Bonus/ Do cached disks count within the 12 disk limit? Since I already have 2 party disks and 8 data disks.

Yes, they count.