DNS/IP Issue

The primary NIC on my new unRAID box flips between its correct IP and an unused IP on the internal 172.17.0.x network every few hours, when it has this internal IP it is undiscoverable and unusable by name. Connections established by the correct IP continue to work.

I'm baffled, little help?

On 1/8/2021 at 5:16 AM, Cosine said:

zeppo-diagnostics-20210107-1310.zip 107.53 kB · 1 download

Thanks very much, attached.

Pinging the unRAID box from various machines tries to ping the correct IP, or a wrong IP, or an IP on unRAIDs 172 network, or sometimes an IP6 address and each box changes what it's trying to talk to. I changed unRAID to use a static IP and that seems to have made no difference.

How are you pinging? vi hostname?

I disable IPv6 everywhere to simplify things, certainly hasn't made things worse. I also added host entries to each workstation binding to the correct IP. The issue now shows itself when, from time to time, some workstations cannot ping the unRAID hostname, cannot access shares or GUI, etc, at the exact same time other workstations can ping it just fine, all hitting the same IP, eventually this works again.

This box and IP and MAC worked perfectly with Windows for years.

I'm utterly baffled.

On 1/8/2021 at 5:16 AM, Cosine said:

Pinging the unRAID box from various machines tries to ping the correct IP, or a wrong IP, or an IP on unRAIDs 172 network, or sometimes an IP6 address and each box changes what it's trying to talk to.

This sounds like you have a docker container running in bridge mode and its somehow announcing itself on the LAN with the incorrect internal IP

But I don't remember seeing anything like that in your diagnostics file

I caught it happening again last night around 2am, my router started messaging me that new MAC addresses were appearing on the network, all of the from unRAID, all of them fake and all of them trying to steal the static IP of the unRAID server's physical NIC. This is insanely frustrating.

You can probably check your router to see which port does these mac address appear. Also have you tried shutting down everything (VMs, containers) on your Unraid to see if the issue occurs? It seems like you'll need to really check  your network to see where the craziness is coming from.