Looking for a sata card that supports staggered drive spin up

timekiller

My unraid server has 21 drives and the power supply can't handle spinning up all the drives at once. I'm currently using a Highpoint 750 (40 port) sata card but it appears to be having issues and won't be supported in the next release of unraid.

Looking for a card that supports staggered spin up and ideally up to 30 drives. If I have to buy 2 16 ports cards, that would work too, but the key is that it MUST support staggered spin up.

Before it's mentioned - no I don't let my drives spin down when idle, so yes the only time they all spin up at once is at boot. Yes I can upgrade my power supply, but when I hit 30 drives, I'm not sure a single power supply will have enough juice.

I've looked into "staggered spinup" for a DIY DAS. The key search term you want to research is "disk PUIS" ... Power Up In Standby. It looks a little tricky, but quite doable. (That isn't a solution for me because my drives are connected via a SAS expander.)

[I don't use Unraid.]

Edited by UhClem
2 hours ago, UhClem said:

I've looked into "staggered spinup" for a DIY DAS. The key search term you want to research is "disk PUIS" ... Power Up In Standby. It looks a little tricky, but quite doable. (That isn't a solution for me because my drives are connected via a SAS expander.)

[I don't use Unraid.]

Yup, I know "PUIS" because that's how Highpoint refers to it. I said "staggered spin up" because that a term that I figure more people would recognize. I've been searching, but either this is not a common feature, or it's just not documented well, I can't find much...