5950x, unRaid Temps High

Hello, recently upgraded my old dual proc xeon server with a Ryzen 5950x I managed to snag from a local Microcenter. I am having an issue with CPU temperatures from unRaid. When I was originally configuring and testing the system, I installed Windows, did some benchmarking and stress testing. Under full load for 2 hours of prime95, cpu temps never exceeded 71 degrees C and idle at 40. unRaid, under barely any load idles around 65 degrees C as reported by Dynamix System temp, k10temp and spikes to 85 when I put a small amount of load on it.

I swapped my Windows disk back in, re-ran the stress test and just did some general computing on it and temps again never spiked above 71, and idled down around 40.

I can audibly confirm the CPU reported temps in Unraid, as it sounds as if my chassis is about to lift off. 

Does unRaid have issues with Ryzen 5x series that would somehow affect temps?

Diags attached. Running the following:

Case: Fractal Define 7 in HDD storage mode

CPU: Ryzen 5950x

mobo: AsRock x570 Taichi with 3.80 BIOS

Cooler: coolermaster ML360R

bigbang-diagnostics-20210107-0124.zip

Shameless bump because I am pulling my hair out here. I spent a day with the system just on baremetal windows, did some gaming, general computing, and more stress testing and still never jumped higher than 75. Was typically sitting around 45-55 when in use. Again barely over 70 during some prime95 stress testing.

Booted back to unraid last night and it still sits at 70+ when under 5% load. 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a 5950x and a 5700g both in unraid.  The 5700G NEVER got above 50C (with fan cooling).   The 5950x idles at 38c to 43c but any activity pushes to 60-70c instantly.  Example: I started to install ubuntu server as a VM and as soon as it started the install it went to 65c.   Doesn't exceed 70c so far for anything but i have 7 Bequiet (silent wing 3) fans in this case but its a big difference from the 5700g.  a BIG difference.   One is using deep rock 4 (5700g) and Noctua HN D15 in the 5950x.   So i would assume it's ok as long as it doesn't get over 95c.  

31 minutes ago, GeorgeJetson20 said:

idles at 38c to 43c but any activity pushes to 60-70c instantly. 

Rapid increases in temp could indicate poor thermal coupling between the CPU and heatsink. Air bubble, too much paste, too little paste, uneven tension causing a lift on one side, etc.

Ideally the temp would ramp up over several seconds, the slower the better.

• Upvote 1
On 3/15/2022 at 3:41 AM, NotYetRated said:

Nope, just been letting it run toasty.

Did you tried this trick ? (i saw this on this thread : https://forums.unraid.net/topic/87736-solvedupdated-681-persistant-ryzen-headaches-need-help/  and i've adapted the parameter for Ryzen 5950x)

Add Flash -> Syslinux Config -> label unRAID OS (and GUI Mode) -> append 'rcu_nocbs=0-31' ...

Edited by doobyns
1 hour ago, JonathanM said:

Rapid increases in temp could indicate poor thermal coupling between the CPU and heatsink. Air bubble, too much paste, too little paste, uneven tension causing a lift on one side, etc.

Ideally the temp would ramp up over several seconds, the slower the better.

Interesting, i was thinking it might be that but i never seen that much of a jump.   I used hq paste, i forgot which brand but i didnt use what the fan came with.   I don't really want to have to take the mb out of case and pull off fan, etc but i will need to check..  It might even be the wrong sensor as i been having lots of problems with this x570S MSI board with fan controllers/temp.

This weekend I went and removed the past and redid it and got the same result, but i noticed when I put the D15 Fan back in, i had it backwards just this time.  But the temps were almost exactly the same (being that the used a spreader like i normally do) and did the exact same thing.  Maybe even better this time but it would be at 41c and i would boot a VM and instantly temp jumps to 52, 60, and quickly jumps back down....  So I went and did the 3rd attempt, this time doing an X but it seems like the results are EXACTLY the same.   I also used the thermal paste included with D15 fan.  The previous 2 times, i used something else.   I think this just how it behaves with the 5950x.   Very different then my 3700g which slowly ramps up.   Need some more input if there are better solutions.   Temp also jumped up when using Unmanic (3 tasks) but it was using P2000 card not any of the CPU.  

• 3 weeks later...

MY 5950x is similar, runs at about 70c with 4 x 480mm radiators under even a small load. drops down to 50c at idle. TBH i think it might have something to do with the current linux kernel, 6.11 will introduce kernel updates much faster and some improvements in temp reporting for asus and gigabyte motherboards so im waiting out for that to see if there’s any difference.  For the time being, you can install tips and tweaks plugin and set the cpu governor to performance but disable AMD turbo boost, this will lock the cpu to 3.8Ghz and significantly lower temps with zero effect on containers, but will obviously significantly affect VMs and their responsiveness.