Reading a physical Unraid Drive with Windows

I am trying to read a physical 5.1 Unraid drive in windows using Disk Internals Linux Reader Pro.

It see's the Hard Drive and lets me mount the drive. But When I open the Drive I see 1 Directory (FileSystem) and 1 File (Storage) that is the full size of the disk. I don not see any files in the directories.

The reason for this is because I tried to upgrade to the new version 6 but the Rocket 640 raid controllers were not found. So I tried to get my back up of the unraid usb. (Which I put on the Unraid drive (really smart here NOT) which is not reachable anymore as the drives cannot be seen.
Any help here is very much appreciated.

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Just ran into this issue, I replaced a drive with a larger one.  I had done this before an unraid rebuilt the drive restoring files. Noticed the available space was full size on new drive .  Old drive is still good but when I connect it to my windows see and manually move the files back on I only see the one "storage" file with linuxreader pro.

how do I install linuxreaderpro with "admin credentials" or some other tool.

Help is appreciated.

Edited by grupoleon
7 minutes ago, grupoleon said:

Adding info here, the old drive is reiser FS and I was upgrading to add more space and change to XFS.

If you are talking about changing the format of the drive when you switched them, you erased the data. Unraid's parity doesn't hold files, it emulates the whole drive, format included, so the only thing it can rebuild is the original format. When you reformatted, you told Unraid to put a new blank filesystem on the drive.

Try attaching the old drive to Unraid and see if the Unassigned Devices plugin can mount it. If so, you should be able to copy the files back to the new drive.

BTW, this is an old thread, I'd recommend starting a new one in the general support area.

@JonathanM  To close out this thread. 

I was able to mount it without adding it to the array via unassigned devices and I can see the files.  I can copy the files over with cp -r (from old disk to new disk).  This should not create any permissions issues yes?

thank you again!

6 minutes ago, grupoleon said:

@JonathanM  To close out this thread. 

I was able to mount it without adding it to the array via unassigned devices and I can see the files.  I can copy the files over with cp -r (from old disk to new disk).  This should not create any permissions issues yes?

thank you again!

That will work fine.