Mobo died need help deciding new setup.

So my Asrock Rack C2750D4I Server Board Integrated Cpu Mini Itx is having a lot of issues. It will boot with enough playing but doesn't last for more than a day. 

So I've decided to just order new parts. I would like to do this as cheap as possible as long as it suits my needs with some head room for the future. 

I only use my sever as a Nas, plex server, and a few dockers but nothing too taxing. 

My current server has 8 drives connected but will be adding more as needed. 

I'm thinking of going Intel as i hear the integrated GPU's are really good for plex HW trans-coding.  

Here is what i'm thinking about buying. 

CPU: either I3 10100 Comet Lake or i5 10400 Comet Lake

Motherboard: Pretty unsure about this TBH don't know whats different about them all. i would like 8 sata ports ( unless i go with a expansion card).

I have a sever case so ATX or bigger is what i want. £100-£200 budget.

If i do go with a sata expansion card could you recommend a good one?

Ram: 16GB of DDR4 Corsair vengeance ( unsure what speed will give best stability)  

I also hear that with 10th gen Intel the ethernet ports don't work with current unraid is this true? if it is i think il just fork out to a 10G pcie card (then wait for ubiquiti to release a cheaper 10g rj45 switch haha). 

Any thoughts and recommendations are much appreciated.

31 minutes ago, MMChris said:

I also hear that with 10th gen Intel the ethernet ports don't work with current unraid is this true?

Depends on the NIC.  For newer ones drivers are lacking in the 4.19 Linux kernel in unRAID 6.8.3.  They work fine with the Linux 5.x kernel in unRAID 6.9.0 RC2.

For motherboards you will need something with a Z490 chipset given your CPU preferences.  Most have 6 SATA ports that I have seen.

If you go with a SATA expansion card, look for something based on one of the following chipsets (avoid Marvell chipsets):

ASMedia 1061/1062 - 2 SATA ports

ASMedia 1064 - 4 SATA ports

JMB582 - 2 SATA ports

JMB585 - 5 SATA ports

Various LSI chipsets (SAS2008, SAS2308, SAS3008, etc.) that can run IT mode firmware - 8 or 16 SATA ports depending on chipset.  There are lots of posts in the forums about appropriate LSI based cards.

44 minutes ago, MMChris said:

Did your board die? ( i think mine dies because of something with the ipmi)

If you are looking for a replacement board with IPMI, there is the ASRock Rack W480D4U (only M-ATX form factor though), that has IPMI, 8 SATA ports and supports the CPUs in which are interested.  Supports all the way up to the new socket 1200 Xeons.  It is likely to be more expensive than consumer boards based on the Z490 chipset, however.

49 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Depends on the NIC.  For newer ones drivers are lacking in the 4.19 Linux kernel in unRAID 6.8.3.  They work fine with the Linux 5.x kernel in unRAID 6.9.0 RC2.

For motherboards you will need something with a Z490 chipset given your CPU preferences.  Most have 6 SATA ports that I have seen.

If you go with a SATA expansion card, look for something based on one of the following chipsets (avoid Marvell chipsets):

ASMedia 1061/1062 - 2 SATA ports

ASMedia 1064 - 4 SATA ports

JMB582 - 2 SATA ports

JMB585 - 5 SATA ports

Various LSI chipsets (SAS2008, SAS2308, SAS3008, etc.) that can run IT mode firmware - 8 or 16 SATA ports depending on chipset.  There are lots of posts in the forums about appropriate LSI based cards.

Thanks for the help. 

Does this sound good?

i5 cpu  ( also what is quick sync and does this support it) & will this need a better cooler than stock?

This Mobo  (any ideas if the nic will work i think im running 6.8.3 )

16Gb of corsair ram 2133    (unless 8Gb is sufficient) 

and the ASmedia 1064 card 

51 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

If you are looking for a replacement board with IPMI, there is the ASRock Rack W480D4U (only M-ATX form factor though), that has IPMI, 8 SATA ports and supports the CPUs in which are interested.  Supports all the way up to the new socket 1200 Xeons.  It is likely to be more expensive than consumer boards based on the Z490 chipset, however.

i didn't use the ipmi to be honest but the only way i can get the board boot is if all 3 Ethernet are connected even then it takes a while. 

Many thanks

21 minutes ago, MMChris said:

Thanks for the help. 

Does this sound good?

i5 cpu  ( also what is quick sync and does this support it) & will this need a better cooler than stock?

This Mobo  (any ideas if the nic will work i think im running 6.8.3 )

16Gb of corsair ram 2133    (unless 8Gb is sufficient) 

and the ASmedia 1064 card 

That all looks good.  The Realtek RTL8125 NIC will require unRAID 6.9.0 RC2 (latest available) for driver support.  It will not work on 6.8.3.

• Thanks 1

So this is just a quick sanity check before i buy the parts £530.

MotherBoard: MSI Intel Z490-A PRO Intel 10th Gen ATX

CPU: Intel Hex Core i5 10400 Comet Lake CPU

Ram: Corsair 16GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2133MHz Memory Kit for Skylake ( is this a good speed?)

NIC:  Intel Gigabit Pro 1000CT PCI Express Gigabit Network Card OEM ( as i want to stay on 6.8.3 for stability, convince me otherwise)

Cache: Samsung 500GB 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 3D V-NAND SSD ( how do i change this over? Samsung magiccopy thing?)

SSD: Seagate BarraCuda 510 250GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD  ( this is just going to be for plex meta data)

SATA Card: IO Crest 4 Port SATA III PCI-e 3.0 x1 Card Non-Raid with Low Profile Bracket ASMedia 1064 + cables

So again this is just a check before i buy the parts tonight.  

Many thanks to the community for helping me out. 

You don't need a Z490 board, they are great for windows gamers who overclock to the max.. but for unraid a b460 board is more then fine and way cheaper.

I have a gigabyte DS3H b460.

But for 11gen you will need a newer kernel for the onboard NIC. 6.9.x would do it or 6.8.3 with a patch for a newer kernel https://github.com/thor2002ro/unraid_kernel/releases

(I have the patch since 6.9 was still in beta when I got my board)

For a SATA expansion card I would recommend something like a SAS2008 class PCI card - https://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-H310-W-2-x-CABLES-FLASHED-LSI-IT-MODE-9211-8i-SAS2008-ZFS-UNRAID-TRUENAS/313273295443?epid=12037689214&hash=item48f08b2253:g:VLAAAOSw4vpeJLrq

I bought a cheap SATA expansion card at first and had tons of issues with it, the SAS card worked from the get go.