Help, I hosed every device in the house

Hi.

I have been using unraid for about 3 days. Had things getting set up, learning about dockers and apps and shares and getting great help on the forum here.

So. I don't know what happened or what I did but I and my wife were in the living room. She was on her phone doing phone games and streaming something for my 1yr old to our chromecast. I was logged in to my tower and checking things out. All of a sudden no device in my house could get an IP address. I couldn't even log in to my router with 192.168.1.1 It just said failed to resolve ip.

I had to do a full factory reset of the router and imported saved settings from about a week ago. During my troubleshooting I was unplugging and replugging ethernet cables from my gaming pc and unraid box.

I got back online from my gaming pc which is how I am on the forum now. But *as soon as* I plug ethernet into my unraid tower, no IP resolves for any device in the house.

I haven't made any changes to settings on the unraid box. I don't even know how. Things were going fine, then *poof* no internet anywhere.

The only things I have done in the last day were installed a Deluge torrent docker (no torrents running, I just wanted to see how it worked), and wireshark.

So now my unraid box is down because as soon as I turn it on I can't get online.

I would really like to get this resolved asap if anyone can offer help. Like, it isn't YOUR problem, but man I would really appreciate it. I'm new and lost. The irony is I was just about to buy my key, lol.

You can also post your diagnostics here for everyone to look at your configs. 

Go to Tools->Diagnostics and download the logs into a .zip file and post it so the community can take a look at it. Make sure you check "Anonymize diagnostics" box before you download.

I would guess Ford Prefect has the right idea and your IPs got messed up somehow. 

Edited by Herbiewalker

Unsure but I don't .... think so? I did set "Tower" to 192.168.1.10 in my router. Network settings in Tower are set to automatic for DNS server assignment, and for IPV4 address assignment. Default gateway is 192.168.1.1 which is my router. I appreciate the response. I guess if it happens again at least I will know what to post with my issue so thank you both for that.

I would check for an IP Address conflict somewhere meaning something might have the same IP including a Docker container. You can also always boot into the GUI of Unraid if you catch it at startup if you have a monitor/kb/mouse hooked up to it too if you want to see things in action. That's not necessary but one way of doing it.

2 hours ago, Hydranmenace said:

Unsure but I don't .... think so? I did set "Tower" to 192.168.1.10 in my router. Network settings in Tower are set to automatic for DNS server assignment, and for IPV4 address assignment. Default gateway is 192.168.1.1 which is my router. I appreciate the response. I guess if it happens again at least I will know what to post with my issue so thank you both for that.

If the network outside of the unraid box itsself is affected, this is either an IP or ARP/MAC conflict.

An IP range in your router starting from a numbering that low is rather unconventional...are you sure, that this IP is not statically assigned somewhere else?...maybe to a manged switch, Wireless Repeater or AP,  or someone else is trying to circumvent your Internet Access Profile/Rules (the kids?).

Does the effect go away when you disable Docker/VM services on your unraid Box?

In any case, share the diagnostics.zip

I had just set up wireshark and deluge. Maybe those conflicted with something. I have removed wireshark because it looked complex enough (for me) that I was worried I would mess something up. Diagnostics attached. And yeah I am sure it is set in the router to 192.168.1.10. I set it to that because I originally was trying Amahi and I had read that it needed to be set to that, or at least it was recommended. Broke lots of things, got no help on their forums, found unraid and I am happy.

tower-diagnostics-20210112-1439.zip

Sorry, I can not identify a problem in your diagnostics that might be related to that problem - There are some other problems (Plex and nginx reported in the syslog).

All I can say is, that your system is based on an NVIDIA chipset, including a very slow (100Mbps) Ethernet controller, where the driver (forcedeth) is a reversed engineered piece of code and I personally had very bad experiences with these NICs/Chipsets in a server setup already more that 10 years ago....tried to avoid it ever since.

However, the MAC address it produces is valid (Dell) and I cannot see any suspicious things going on here.

Is this the setup where you can reproduce (I know, painful) problem from?

When the problem occurs, can you create the diagnostics again (being physically logged in from your Terminal, as CLI/GUI via net might not work anympore)

I'm hoping to avoid reproducing it, heh. I may give it a go this weekend but it took me some time to even get everything going again and my wife was... displeased. I know the ethernet controller is hot junk. I got that Intel NIC you said would work well. Should be here tomorrow. When I install the new NIC, will I have to be ready to make changes to the tower network settings or will everything "just work"? Will my router still assign the same IP to the machine?